Dec 31, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
We now know that the decision on who the Redskins next coach will be is largely in the hands of Bruce Allen. It just so happens that there is a coach who has enjoyed some success who is not currently working on the sidelines and who used to work very close with Allen. Many are eyeing the possibility that Allen will want to get the band back together and bring Jon Gruden in to coach the Redskins.
However, Gruden, who worked with Allen in Oakland and Tampa Bay, apparently has no interest in wearing a headset in 2014 except for the one he puts on to do Monday night football for ESPN. The Pioneer Press got in touch with Gruden to ask about the Vikings’ coaching vacancy and he did his best to extinguish speculation that he is willing to return to coaching anywhere.
“I don’t want to be considered for any of these jobs,” said Gruden, who hasn’t coached since 2008. “I don’t want to be considered for anything. There are plenty of good candidates out there. I’m just sick for the guys who can no longer coach their teams. … I’m hoping to do the best I can to hang on to my job.”
This doesn’t mean that Gruden will never coach again or even that he won’t coach in 2014. People can be persuaded to abandon such rock-solid declarations. The message here could be that it would take a lot of money and a lot of control for him to move out of the broadcast booth. And while Daniel Snyder has plenty of money, Allen announced yesterday that he will have the final say in personnel matters. That would seem to eliminate all but the slimmest of chances that Gruden will take the Redskins job.
Follow Us On Twitter
- To get the Redskins to the Super Bowl, McCloughan must change team's DNA
- Pro Football Hall of Fame elects class of 2015
- Patriots or Seahawks? Tandler and Tarik give their predictions
- NFLPA chief says salary cap will be higher than league projection
- John Riggins joins STL on the 32nd anniversary of Super Bowl XVII
- Former Eagles coach shares memories of competing with Joe Gibbs
- Catch John Riggins on SportsTalk Live tonight at 10 p.m.!
- Take your pick! CSN makes Super Bowl predictions
- Will Morris sign a second contract with the Redskins?
- Will the Redskins hold on to NT Cofield?