Dec 29, 2013, 6:04 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, December 29, the day the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
Buckle your seat belts
It looks like we are about to enter crazy time, folks.
The firing of Mike Shanahan appears to be inevitable. It is likely to happen by the time the sun sets on Redskins Park on Monday.
Redskins fans should beware. We are about to enter a winter edition of the lying season, the annual ritual that comes around draft time every year. Don’t believe everything you hear. In fact don’t believe any of it.
It has already started. ESPN reported yesterday that Penn State coach Bill O’Brien is the “overwhelming favorite” to land the Houston Texans job. Many Redskins fans were lamenting that one of the most attractive candidates in the market was no longer in the market.
But O’Brien has not signed a deal. In fact, Texans owner Bob McNair has let it be known that “the process continues” and that the organization will interview more candidates in the coming week.
That doesn’t mean that O’Brien isn’t still the favorite to get the job. But it does mean that the Redskins will at least have a chance to talk to him if there is mutual interest between the coach and the team.
But where did word that O’Brien has the Texans job in hand come from? Somebody with motivation to leak the information. Here’s what Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk said about it:
But here’s the question to ask. Why would someone leak word of a potential deal between the Texans and O’Brien prematurely?
The goal of the leaker could be to help push a deal to conclusion. The goal of the leaker could be to blow a deal up. The goal of the leaker also could be, quite simply, to curry favor with the persons to whom the information was leaked.
The goal of the leaker also could be to nudge another candidate (e.g., Lovie Smith) to do a deal first.
In the PFT post (which all Redskins fans should read as we enter this crazy time), Florio recalls last year when multiple outlets reported that there was a “95 percent” chance that Andy Reid would get the Arizona Cardinals’ vacant coaching job. Reid ended up on the sideline in red this year all right but it was Kansas City Chiefs red.
So, brace yourselves. The reports, rumors, and speculation are about to go into hyperdrive. Stick with us here and at CSNwashington.com as Tarik El-Bashir, the rest of team, and I break it down and sort it out for you day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute.
In case you missed it
- Buzzer beaten
- Fletcher bids farewell to FedEx Field
- Loss leaves Garçon in no mood to celebrate record
- Shanahan: ‘Push in the back’ on long punt return
- Orakpo injures groin against Cowboys
- Romo keeps confidence despite the noise
- Confusion cost the Redskins
- Did Cousins take a step back vs. Cowboys?
- Redskins’ field conditions questioned …again
- Redskins’ Barnett to IR, W. Compton to 53
- Redskins snap counts vs. Cowboys
- For Redskins, punt coverage miscues are the norm
- Redskins’ great Art Monk ‘excited’ for Pierre Garçon
- Slow starts continue to plague Redskins
- Would Briles be a fit?
- Redskins’ Cousins ‘encouraged’ after two starts
- Shanahan not concerned about Cowboys’ injury report flap
- Orakpo says he’s sore, not sure about Sunday
- Where are we? State of the Redskins after 15 games
- Redskins’ Shanahan expects quick resolution to job status
- Final stand: Defensive shakeup looming
- After a difficult start, Redskins’ Forbath aims to finish strong
- What did Santa bring Redskins fans?
- Orakpo: ‘If he can play, he wants to play’
- Redskins coordinators indicate that the end is near
- 3 and out: Sunday’s score will be a secondary story line
- Redskins NFL Draft prospects: Poinsettia Bowl
- Haslett considers Redskins experience ‘positive’ (VIDEO)
- Redskins NFL draft prospects: Little Caesars Bowl
- Milestone will elude Redskins’ Shanahan
- Redskins Moss’ future not entirely in his hands
- Garçon a free agent move that worked out for Redskins
- Orakpo questionable for Sunday
- Do any Redskins have a shot at the Pro Bowl?
- Shanahan sheds no light on meeting with Snyder
- Poor field position hurt the Redskins this year
- Kyle says RG3 will be fine if he has to learn new system
- Redskins draft prospects: Military Bowl
- Game preview: Redskins at Giants
- Redskins coaches have learned to deal with uncertainty
- Game has meaning–for Rams
- Should Mike Shanahan stay or go?
- Redskins NFL draft prospects in bowls: Belk; Buffalo Wild Wings; Russell Athletic; Pinstripe
- Redskins Pro Bowl snubs
- Redskins quotes of the year
Follow Us On Twitter
- Open Mic with Chris Baker
- Best of the Best: Sean Taylor or Charley Taylor?
- Is Chris Baker still the best dancer on the Redskins? He weighs in
- Redskins DL Chris Baker on the team's improved defense
- 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' Episode 1 recap: It's finally here
- Will Jordan Reed be a major factor in the Redskins' offense?
- Redskins position preview: Nose tackle
- Redskins offseason Q&A: Who returns punts and kickoffs?
- Redskins position preview: Running back
- Redskins position preview: Defensive end