Dec 27, 2013, 5:36 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 27, two days before the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
Five quotes and notes from yesterday’s head coach and coordinator news conferences:
1. In the likely event that Mike Shanahan departs from the organization, the films from practices will stay behind. Shanahan said that he put those to use to evaluate the players who were already on the team when he got here four years ago. “I know when I came here I took a look not only at the last games – the three last games of the season – I looked at how they practice, the practice squad players over the last three weeks,” he said. “I think you can tell a lot about somebody when they’re not necessarily playing for a playoff spot.”
2. Even after two starts, fans haven’t seen a whole lot of Kirk Cousins but Kyle Shanahan thinks he has a pretty good handle on his abilities. “We’ve been around him a lot,” he said. “I got a lot of work with him last year and in the game he started, that week. Got a lot of work with him this offseason since he was our starter throughout OTAs and training camp. He’s played like we expected him to, so nothing really surprising.”
3. Kyle did admit that what could happen after the game on Sunday is starting to weigh on his mind a bit more because there is not another game to look forward to when the clock hits 0:00. “You always have a bunch of games to go forward so you can’t think about it too much, but with this being the last one and nothing after it for sure, it is a little bit different but we’re getting through it,” he said.
4. Mike Shanahan has been through a firestorm of criticism before and he’s learned to deal with it. “We’ve been in it for a while. I think when you’re a little bit younger and it’s your first experience, you see how it affects everybody – not that it doesn’t affect you when you’re older, but you’ve been through it before,” he said. “You understand the highs and lows of the profession and you deal with it. If you deal with it too much then you’re not in the profession very long. But it comes with the territory.”
5. Jim Haslett has been through worse storms than this one—literally. He was the head coach of the Saints when Katrina hit in New Orleans, making them a team without a home for the season. “But back then, my first [job] as a head coach I was 41-years-old, it was a little different than it is now,” he said. “I went through Katrina and all that stuff, so things are a little different – still ugly, but that’s part of it.”
Stat of the day
—This year the Redskins scored 30 points or more in two of their games. In 2012 they scored 30+ in seven games.
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 2; NFL free agency 74; 2014 NFL opening Sunday 254
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- Orakpo: ‘If he can play, he wants to play’
- Redskins coordinators indicate that the end is near
- 3 and out: Sunday’s score will be a secondary story line
- Redskins NFL Draft prospects: Poinsettia Bowl
- Haslett considers Redskins experience ‘positive’ (VIDEO)
- Redskins NFL draft prospects: Little Caesars Bowl
- Milestone will elude Redskins’ Shanahan
- Redskins Moss’ future not entirely in his hands
- Garçon a free agent move that worked out for Redskins
3 and Out: Shanahan’s last stand?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Morris, Redd help kids go back-to-school shopping (VIDEO)
- Fantasy Fix: Running backs dominate Week 3 waiver wire
- Wendy's Q&A: Has the defense really improved under Haslett?
- Redskins 2013 draft class already a bust
- Redskins cut ties to safety Bacarri Rambo
- Some game plan changes coming with Cousins at QB for the Redskins
- OPEN THREAD: How to prepare for McCoy, Sproles?
- Redskins snap counts vs. Jaguars--A heavy workload for Niles Paul
- Gruden says offense will not change for Cousins (VIDEO)
- Skins' confident in Cousins (VIDEO)