Dec 26, 2013, 5:27 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 26, three days before the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
There was business conducted at Redskins Park on Tuesday; the building was closed yesterday for Christmas. Here are some notes and quotes from Tuesday:
1. Not every move Mike Shanahan has made while wearing his GM hat has turned out right but the signing of Pierre Garçon was one that did. When given a chance, Shanahan talked about him. “I’ve been really pleased with how he’s handled himself, how hard he works,” he said. “You could see a year ago when he did play he was the difference in us winning and losing. When he did come back, you could tell we were a different type of offensive football team and this year is no exception.”
2. Tight end Gabe Miller, signed to the practice squad on Tuesday, could end up playing on either side of the ball. He was drafted as a linebacker. “We’ll get a chance to look at him. He’ll play linebacker as well,” said Shanahan. “A couple of days on our football team, but a guy that [Director of Pro Personnel] Morocco Brown recommended and hopefully he’ll show us something in the next couple of days.”
3. I asked Kirk Cousins about ball security and he said something that needed to be fact checked. “If you throw an interception in every game the entire season, you’re going to lead the league in terms of having the lowest number of interceptions, only throwing 16,” he said. Actually, no. Last year only nine QB’s threw at least 16 interceptions. This year only seven have thrown 15 or more. In short, a pick per game is not something to which a QB should aspire.
4. Although we could be several days from major upheaval at Redskins Park, Shanahan said he hasn’t addressed it with the team. “No. Same thing we’ve been talking about since Day 1 — all of those things you address at the end of the season after the season is over with,” he said.
5. Kirk Cousins always says positive things about everybody so it wasn’t surprising that he gave Kyle Shanahan a ringing endorsement when asked. But there could be some extra incentive as Kyle could be working someplace that needs a quarterback next year. “He’s the kind of guy that I think very highly of as an offensive coordinator, and if I get to play for Kyle or someone like Kyle at his level of a play-caller for the rest of my career, I’ll be in very good shape,” he said. “So I think the world of him and Coach [Mike] Shanahan, and I think, like I said, I’ll be very successful if I get to play for a play-caller like them.”
Stat of the day
—The Redskins have attempted 562 passes, ninth in the NFL. Last year they attempted 442 and were 30th.
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 3; NFL free agency 75; 2014 NFL opening Sunday 255
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, and Jim Haslett news conferences and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- Final stand: Defensive shakeup looming
- After a difficult start, Redskins’ Forbath aims to finish strong
- What did Santa bring Redskins fans?
Is Art Briles an option?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Texans make Watt highest-paid defender ahead of opener
- Fantasy Fix: The final (top 150 players) countown
- RG3 on Baylor statue: 'It still hasn't hit me' (VIDEO)
- With roster finalized, Skins anxious to start season (VIDEO)
- EXCLUSIVE: Dan Snyder sits down with CSN's Chick Hernandez
- Redskins Park notes and quotes--Amerson ready for the challenge
- Kai Forbath says kicker competition made him better
- Gruden addresses Redskins' running back decisions
- Redskins mostly healthy going into opener
- New Redskins' safety Ihenacho eager to contribute vs Houston