Dec 25, 2013, 6:04 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, December 25, four days before the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
Things were very different for Redskins fans on Christmas Day a year ago. In addition to the presents under the tree they had a huge game to look forward to. The Redskins were playing the Cowboys on Sunday night with the winner going on to the playoffs and the loser going home.
Today, fans have only a meaningless game in the Meadowlands to mop up a season that was lost well before Thanksgiving. Since there is no big game wrapped up with a burgundy and gold bow on top, here are five things Redskins fans hope Santa brings them:
1. A new head coach is not on everyone’s list to Santa but I think that everyone agrees that some major changes to the staff are in order. While it may not be in the holiday spirit to wish for someone to become unemployed, desperate times call for desperate measures.
2. A healthier, more fundamentally sound Robert Griffin III, the guy we saw in 2012, would make for a better 2014. Some might want him to be pushed by Kirk Cousins breathing down his neck all spring and summer. By any means necessary, the return of RG3 would give the team a list like nothing else could.
3. More players with Pierre Garçon’s passion and attitude would lead to better results on the field. Although ‘tis the season to be jolly, Garçon sets that aside for three hours every week and plays like a man possessed. A dozen more players like him would make games a joy to watch.
4. Santa could put a bow on a solid player at almost any position and it would make a Redskins fan happy. But the burgundy and gold faithful would be happiest if a stud safety was under the tree. This is the seventh Christmas since Sean Taylor was cruelly taken away and he still hasn’t been replaced.
5. And beyond what is football related, I hope that Santa is good to you and that this day finds you in good health and in good cheer.
Merry Christmas to all!
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 4; NFL free agency 76; 2014 NFL Draft 134;
—Today’s schedule: No availability, Redskins Park closed for Christmas
In case you missed it
- Would Briles be a fit?
- Redskins’ Cousins ‘encouraged’ after two starts
- Shanahan not concerned about Cowboys’ injury report flap
- Orakpo says he’s sore, not sure about Sunday
- Where are we? State of the Redskins after 15 games
- Redskins’ Shanahan expects quick resolution to job status
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden refutes report regarding starting QB decision
- Ravens still searching for a second wideout
- Chick Hernandez interrupts Trent Williams interview
- Gruden on exchange with Harbaugh: I was a little perturbed with that
- Trent Williams on new contract: 'It's a dream come true'
- Ihenacho not satisfied with first-team defense's performance
- Cousins solid in Redskins win over Ravens
- Cousins starts slow, picks up steam
- Robinson's tackle sparks a scuffle between Redskins and Ravens
- Mitchell: RG3 still making 'high school'-level mistakes