Dec 24, 2013, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, December 24, five days before the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
Five notes and quotes from Mike Shanahan’s Monday news conference:
1. As noted here yesterday, Shanahan said after the game that he thought there was a block in the back during Michael Spurlock’s 62-yard punt return. He said a look at the film confirmed it. “There’s no question it was, but hey, we’ve still got to – somebody else has to – make the play. Yeah, they [the officials] missed one there, but they’ll miss some on our side as well.”
2. Shanahan has said many times that he will meet with Daniel Snyder at the end of the season to determine his future. He was asked if he expected the meeting and resolution to happen quickly. “I’m sure it will,” he said. “But you’ll have to ask Dan to make sure. I can’t answer that.”
3. On the Redskins last play from scrimmage, Cousins’ fourth-down pass that only Fred Davis, who wasn’t in the game, could catch, it appeared that there was some confusion from the line. There was. On a critical play in the 15th game of the fourth season under this coaching staff, a 13-year veteran doesn’t know where he should be lining up. ““Well, he [Moss] should have been on the other side. Santana heard a different formation and he [Cousins] was trying to bring him across and we didn’t get it communicated.”
4. After saying that he prefers natural grass but the future of the FedEx playing surface is up to Snyder, Shanahan basically threw the FedEx grass under the bus. “Two or three years in a row, you see how bad that field is, it’s [field turf] something you would definitely look at.”
5. Even though there is absolutely nothing on the line on Sunday, Shanahan still won’t give some younger players a look during the Giants game. “Still the same – you’ve got to earn the right to play. If it’s really close or somebody has played a little bit better, regardless of who that person is, he’ll get a chance to play.”
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 5; Free agency starts 77; 2014 NFL Draft 135
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan and Kirk Cousins news conferences and player availability after practice (Note that this is the usual Wednesday schedule; they will take the usual Tuesday off day on Christmas Day)
In case you missed it
- Confusion cost the Redskins
- Did Cousins take a step back vs. Cowboys?
- Redskins’ field conditions questioned …again
- Redskins’ Barnett to IR, W. Compton to 53
- Redskins snap counts vs. Cowboys
- For Redskins, punt coverage miscues are the norm
- Redskins’ great Art Monk ‘excited’ for Pierre Garçon
- Slow starts continue to plague Redskins
Shanahan on QB hits
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins draft board: Quarterback
- GM's history points to an edge rusher with Redskins' top pick
- What's the best case win total for the 2015 Redskins?
- 25 Redskins questions: What will the 2015 record be?
- Joe Theismann agrees with decision to name RG3 the starter
- Who were McCloughan's best late-round picks?
- Eagles chase for Mariota might not be over
- Report: Top WR visited the Redskins
- For Garçon, Redskins must improve in 2015 or "it's all bad"
- Redskins sending coaches to meet with top edge rusher