Dec 24, 2013, 5:11 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, December 24, five days before the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
Five notes and quotes from Mike Shanahan’s Monday news conference:
1. As noted here yesterday, Shanahan said after the game that he thought there was a block in the back during Michael Spurlock’s 62-yard punt return. He said a look at the film confirmed it. “There’s no question it was, but hey, we’ve still got to – somebody else has to – make the play. Yeah, they [the officials] missed one there, but they’ll miss some on our side as well.”
2. Shanahan has said many times that he will meet with Daniel Snyder at the end of the season to determine his future. He was asked if he expected the meeting and resolution to happen quickly. “I’m sure it will,” he said. “But you’ll have to ask Dan to make sure. I can’t answer that.”
3. On the Redskins last play from scrimmage, Cousins’ fourth-down pass that only Fred Davis, who wasn’t in the game, could catch, it appeared that there was some confusion from the line. There was. On a critical play in the 15th game of the fourth season under this coaching staff, a 13-year veteran doesn’t know where he should be lining up. ““Well, he [Moss] should have been on the other side. Santana heard a different formation and he [Cousins] was trying to bring him across and we didn’t get it communicated.”
4. After saying that he prefers natural grass but the future of the FedEx playing surface is up to Snyder, Shanahan basically threw the FedEx grass under the bus. “Two or three years in a row, you see how bad that field is, it’s [field turf] something you would definitely look at.”
5. Even though there is absolutely nothing on the line on Sunday, Shanahan still won’t give some younger players a look during the Giants game. “Still the same – you’ve got to earn the right to play. If it’s really close or somebody has played a little bit better, regardless of who that person is, he’ll get a chance to play.”
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 5; Free agency starts 77; 2014 NFL Draft 135
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan and Kirk Cousins news conferences and player availability after practice (Note that this is the usual Wednesday schedule; they will take the usual Tuesday off day on Christmas Day)
In case you missed it
- Confusion cost the Redskins
- Did Cousins take a step back vs. Cowboys?
- Redskins’ field conditions questioned …again
- Redskins’ Barnett to IR, W. Compton to 53
- Redskins snap counts vs. Cowboys
- For Redskins, punt coverage miscues are the norm
- Redskins’ great Art Monk ‘excited’ for Pierre Garçon
- Slow starts continue to plague Redskins
Shanahan on QB hits
Follow Us On Twitter
- NBC10: No warrant expected for LeSean McCoy until next week
- How different will the Redskins' D-line look in 2016?
- Redskins outclass NFC East for 2015 rookie haul
- Ballhawks wanted at Redskins Park
- What will the Redskins' depth chart look like at safety?
- Report: Former Redskins WR injured after accidentally shooting self
- After an improbable rise, can Quinton Dunbar keep improving?
- Why haven't the Redskins released RG3?
- Ranking the top 20 most talented NFL players under the age of 25
- 2015 Redskins led NFL in fumble recoveries but didn’t take advantage