Dec 23, 2013, 5:21 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, December 23, six days before the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
Five stats and notes from the Redskins 24-23 loss to the Cowboys.
1. Opponents have scored 126 first-quarter points against the Redskins. Only three other teams in NFL history have given up more. A Giants touchdown in the first quarter next week will more the Redskins into third place and another will have them second-worst every. It was take quite a first-quarter scoring explosion by the Giants for the Redskins to surpass the 2012 Titans (155) for the dubious record.
2. The Dallas loss followed a 27-26 loss to Atlanta the previous Sunday. Never before in their history have the Redskins suffered two one-point losses in back to back weeks. They have not lost one-point games twice in a season since 1983.
3. Pierre Garçon’s 11 catches tied him for the most ever by a Redskins receiver in a game against the Cowboys. Charley Taylor caught that many in a game on Nov. 13, 1966. Garçon’s team-record 107 receptions on the season lead the NFL.
4. Alfred Morris gained 88 yards on 24 carries. He now has 2,826 yards in his first two seasons in the NFL. That’s ninth most all time; he pushed Barry Sanders (2,774 in 1989-1990) back to 10th place.
5. London Fletcher played in his 255th straight regular season games. In addition to Fletcher only three players have played at least 250 in a row—P Jeff Feagles, DL Jim Marshall, and QB Brett Favre.
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 6; Free agency starts 78; 2014 NFL Draft 136
—Today’s schedule: Mike Shanahan news conference 3:00 (telecast on Comcast SportsNet)
In case you missed it
- Buzzer beaten
- Fletcher bids farewell to FedEx Field
- Loss leaves Garçon in no mood to celebrate record
- Shanahan: ‘Push in the back’ on long punt return
- Orakpo injures groin against Cowboys
- Romo keeps confidence despite the noise
Fletcher’s pre-game speech fires up D
Follow Us On Twitter
- Pierre Garcon stops by SportsTalk Live
- Kai Forbath goes 1-on-1 to diagnose game-winning kick
- Week 8 Starts and Sits: Sammy Watkins set for success
- Rotoworld's Kay Adams on Alfred Morris' fantasy value
- Larry Michael makes his Redskins-Cowboys pick
- Tom Compton to replace Tyler Polumbus at right tackle
- Redskins getting close to full health
- RG3 quotes Churchill, leaves door open to playing vs. Dallas
- OPEN THREAD: Can Amerson, Breeland slow down Dez Bryant?
- With Riley on the mend, Will Compton could return to bench