Dec 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Pierre Garçon set a Redskins team record that had stood for nearly 30 years but he wasn’t in much of a mood to revel in his accomplishment afterward.
With about six minutes left in the third quarter, Garçon caught a 19-yard pass from Kirk Cousins, his 107th catch of the year. That broke the Redskins record set by Hall of Fame wide receiver Art Monk, who had 106 catches in 1984. The reception set up an Alfred Morris touchdown that gave the Redskins a 20-14 lead over Dallas.
But when it was over, the Cowboys walked off the field with a 24-23 win and Garçon was not happy despite his accomplishment.
“It’s pretty cool but, you know, with the season going in it’s very hard to celebrate right now,” said Garçon. The loss dropped Washington to 3-12 on the season.
When he made the catch to set the record Garçon noticed it but did not acknowledge the cheers of the crowd.
“Yeah, but we had a play after that so, it was alright,” he said.
Garçon, who has been in the league for six seasons, the last two in Washington, has never caught more than 76 passes in a season. He now has the 107 catches for 1290 yards on the season with one game left to play.
“You believe in yourself you know you can do things. The records are always made to be broken,” he said.
Garçon has proven to be a free agent home run for the Redskins. Mike Shanahan brought him in and, as he often does, talked about the receiver’s attitude.
“It tells a lot about Pierre and his preparation during the offseason, what he brings every week,” said Shanahan. “Week in and week out he’s a competitor.”
Cousins knew that Garçon was close to the record but he didn’t know he had broken it until he was told by the media. “He’s fearless,” said Cousins. “He’s the kind of guy you want on your side when you are backed into a corner. You want Pierre standing with you.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden believes that Griffin is ready to play
- Breeland injures knee in practice, questionable for Sunday
- RG3 spent time during rehab studying the elite QBs
- RG3 doesn't think he'll be too nervous in return
- RG3 discusses the 'rust' factor
- Gruden speaks on RG3's week of practice
- RG3 says he will lean on his teammates in return
- Don't look for Redskins to repeat 'over the top' defense
- Second Hall injury leaves future with Skins in question
- OPEN THREAD: Run game key for RG3 to succeed