Dec 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Pierre Garçon set a Redskins team record that had stood for nearly 30 years but he wasn’t in much of a mood to revel in his accomplishment afterward.
With about six minutes left in the third quarter, Garçon caught a 19-yard pass from Kirk Cousins, his 107th catch of the year. That broke the Redskins record set by Hall of Fame wide receiver Art Monk, who had 106 catches in 1984. The reception set up an Alfred Morris touchdown that gave the Redskins a 20-14 lead over Dallas.
But when it was over, the Cowboys walked off the field with a 24-23 win and Garçon was not happy despite his accomplishment.
“It’s pretty cool but, you know, with the season going in it’s very hard to celebrate right now,” said Garçon. The loss dropped Washington to 3-12 on the season.
When he made the catch to set the record Garçon noticed it but did not acknowledge the cheers of the crowd.
“Yeah, but we had a play after that so, it was alright,” he said.
Garçon, who has been in the league for six seasons, the last two in Washington, has never caught more than 76 passes in a season. He now has the 107 catches for 1290 yards on the season with one game left to play.
“You believe in yourself you know you can do things. The records are always made to be broken,” he said.
Garçon has proven to be a free agent home run for the Redskins. Mike Shanahan brought him in and, as he often does, talked about the receiver’s attitude.
“It tells a lot about Pierre and his preparation during the offseason, what he brings every week,” said Shanahan. “Week in and week out he’s a competitor.”
Cousins knew that Garçon was close to the record but he didn’t know he had broken it until he was told by the media. “He’s fearless,” said Cousins. “He’s the kind of guy you want on your side when you are backed into a corner. You want Pierre standing with you.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure to perform against the Browns
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park