Dec 19, 2013, 4:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 19, three days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
Three news conferences and two conference calls at Redskins Park on Wednesday makes for a perfect Nickel Coverage package. Here’s one quote from each of them.
1. Mike Shanahan said that he was amazed at how London Fletcher came back after suffering an injury in a game earlier this season. ““Well, it’s really hard to say because normally you’re not up close to see an ankle like that. But it was so awkward, how he got hit that I said, ‘There’s no way.’ I said, ‘I just saw something happen that hasn’t happened in a lot of years. This is going to knock him out of the game.’ Then he comes Wednesday and he’s walking through.”
2. The consecutive games played streak, which will end at 256 assuming he plays the remaining two games will be what Fletcher is most remembered for. “Obviously, that’s a part of my legacy. That’s the thing that’s talked about most because when you look at it, it’s hard for me to really grasp it because I’m still in the midst of it. Really the way I’ve approached it is to go about my business, being accountable and not wanting to let my teammates down and the coaching staff.”
3. Kirk Cousins said that while he did his best to be prepared to play every game when he was the backup quarterback, those first-team reps sure do help. “Well, it’s very helpful to get reps. I find that I walk off the practice field today and last week and have a much greater confidence as to my preparedness for that coming game because of the reps I’m able to get during practice.”
4. We asked Dallas coach Jason Garrett about his team trying to put that ugly loss to the Packers behind them. He said that putting the good and the bad that comes in the game is an ongoing process. “We have that a lot in our game — you’ve got to get rid of the last play, get rid of the last series, forget what happened in the first quarter, let’s get on to the second quarter — and you certainly have to do that from game to game over the course of the season. It’s about forgetting about the last play that was successful or the last game that was successful and similarly if it didn’t get well for you, and we have to do that each and every week as does everybody around the league and we certainly have to do it this week and get on to the focus, which is the Washington Redskins.”
5. DeMarcus Ware, one of the best pass rushers of his generation, said that you don’t need a bunch of moves to be effective. “Let’s say you have two moves; every move has got to have a counter move. So let’s say you have four moves, and I think that’s all you need to be effective in this league, and then now, OK, you make it simple for yourself and figuring out how the tackles are going to attack you every single week and how your moves are going to work, because you don’t want to change up every single week because then you get inconsistent. So you’ve got to make it simple on yourself, be able to play aggressive each and every play and be able to read your keys.”
Stat of the day
—The Redskins have five games where a players has caught passes for 100 yards or more. Four of those games are by Pierre Garçon and one is by Jordan Reed.
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Giants 10; NFL free agency starts 82
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, and Jim Haslett news conferences and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- Fletcher likely to call it a career
- 3 and out: Redskins hope to play spoiler vs. Cowboys
- Redskins’ Fletcher advises RG3 to ‘exhale’
- Redskins pick up C JD Walton
- Redskins’ Reed, Williams sit out practice
- Who will take London Fletcher’s place on the Redskins?
- Fletcher on Shanahan: ‘He’s the right guy”
- Can the Redskins D stop DeMarco Murray?
- Where are we? State of the Redskins after 14 games
- Browns insider: No first for Cousins from Cleveland
- Report refutes allegations concerning RG3, father
- Will the Redskins play in AT&T Stadium North on Sunday?
Can Shanahan keep players focused amidst turmoil?
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeAngelo Hall still confident after 11 seasons (VIDEO)
- DeSean Jackson has a warning for defenses (VIDEO)
- Moses adjusting to life in the NFL (VIDEO)
- Countdown: 5 types of fantasy football owners every league has
- VIDEO: CSN's Tarik El-Bashir walks you through Redskins drills
- Jay Gruden talks read option, Shawn Lauvao, Pierre Garon and more
- RGIII on Bruce Allen comments: 'I know where he's coming from'
- Gruden: Preseason games 'main evaluator' for roster decisions
- Amerson says defense is division's best. Does Gruden agree?
- Gruden: Offense based on run game, Morris key to success