Dec 18, 2013, 6:05 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, December 18, four days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
AT&T Stadium North on Sunday?
When the Redskins play this Sunday’s game against the Cowboys (yes, Washington is still playing games beyond competing leaks), a shot at a division title will be at stake. Of course, that playoff spot is only available to Dallas. The Redskins were eliminated mathematically a few weeks ago and realistically several weeks before that.
Last December, the Cowboys came to town in what amounted to the first round of the playoffs. The winner played on, the loser went home. Alfred Morris ran for 200 yards, Rob Jackson intercepted Tony Romo in the clutch (even though that’s a pretty big group Jackson’s in, it’s still a feather in his cap), and the victorious Robert Griffin III consoled Romo after the clock stuck 0:00. This year it has been players on the other team telling Griffin to hang in there as the losses have mounted.
The Cowboys are in contention but they are far from content. They just blew a 23-point halftime lead to the Packers. Romo threw not one but two key interceptions, coach Jason Garrett took heat for the paucity of running plays in the second half as Dallas’ lead slowly bled away, and receiver Dez Bryant went back to the locker room with over a minute left on the clock.
FedEx Field will be an interesting place on Sunday aside from the two franchises in flames on the field. There is always a fairly strong contingent of Cowboys fans at FedEx Field even when the Redskins are doing well. There are over 4,000 tickets available on StubHub alone. They are currently priced at $52 and up but they are bound to go down in price as Sunday approaches. It adds up to the possibility that the scene will be AT&T Stadium North, just without the big video board running the length of the field.
Nobody knows just what Dan Snyder is thinking right now about Mike Shanahan’s future with the Redskins. But you would have to think that the owner sitting in his box at the stadium surveying stands filled with silver and blue and cheering the “visiting” team on to an important win would not be feeling very warm and fuzzy about his current head coach.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins are a solid ninth in the NFL in yards gained. However, they have only scored 21.8 point/game, 23rd in the league.
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 4; Redskins @ Giants 11; 2014 NFL Draft 141
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan and Kirk Cousins news conferences and player availability after practice (approx. 2:00)
In case you missed it
- Report: RG3’s father pushed for Briles
- Jerry Jones worried about Lee, Cowboys depth
- Have NFL refs gone rogue?
- Former MVP Moseley admires Tucker’s season
- Redskins’ Young tweaks hamstring, status unclear
- Redskins snap counts vs. Falcons
- Shanahan says Redskins are tuning out distractions
- Rex Ryan may be done in NY, is he a fit for the Redskins?
- OPEN THREAD: QB competition real or perceived?
- Shanahan says Redskins’ offense did not change for Cousins
Players speak at charity fundraiser
Follow Us On Twitter
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley