Dec 17, 2013, 5:22 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, December 17, five days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
Five notes and quotes from Mike Shanahan’s press conference on Monday
1. Shanahan was asked how the Redskins managed to get through the game with only one sack. Note how he mentions nothing about the offensive line doing anything different. “Like I said, what you’re doing is you’re looking at that film and you’re studying it and you’re making sure you do go through the proper footwork, the proper reads, and the better off you are, the more success you have.”
2. Shanahan said that the offense did not change from Robert Griffin III to Kirk Cousins. I don’t know but I saw a lot more bootlegs from Cousins than from Griffin. “You have the same dropback, you have the same ability to run quarterback keeps or half-rolls or bootlegs, waggles, different types of screens depending what the defense is giving you, so that’s part of our offensive scheme.”
3. Darrel Young was active against the Falcons after missing three games with a hamstring injury. He played only seven snaps before aggravating the injury and leaving. With two games left, it might be time to put Young on injured reserve and bring in someone who can block for Alfred Morris. “He set himself back a little bit. I’m hoping it’s not as serious as it was before. We’ll test him out here over the next couple of days and get a better feel for him.”
4. When asked to talk about how Cousins’ success should be weighed since it came against one of the league’s worst pass defenses, Shanahan turned the subject to sample size. “We’ve had one game. Let’s not get carried away with numbers, OK? We’ve had one game where we lost the game.”
5. I’m not sure why you would ask Mike Shanahan how the Redskins will decide whether to trade Kirk Cousins this offseason or keep him since he probably won’t be here to make that decision. But someone did. “I think that’s what you do is you sit down as an organization, as a staff, as an ownership, and you decide what’s best for the organization, but that’s part of your plan in building a football team.”
Stat of the day
—Going into the Atlanta game the Redskins were in the middle of the pack in the NFL in turnover ration with a minus-two. After going minus-4 against the Falcons Washington is now 27th in the league at minus-8. With the exception of last year they have been negative in turnover ratio every year that Shanahan has been the coaching them.
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 5; Redskins @ Giants 12; Opening Sunday 2014 season 265
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
In case you missed it
- Shanahan: RG3 is the starting quarterback
- Shanahan confirms he isn’t resigning
- RG3 talks about overcoming adversity
- Shanahan: Despite turnovers, Cousins played well
- Cowboys have plenty of critics in Dallas
- Shanahan taps brakes on Cousins praise
- Jordan Reed still suffering from headaches
- Did Shanahan play the odds right on the two-point try?
- Green points finger at Shanahan for Redskins problems
- Points soar for Redskins’ opponents
- Morris upset about fumbles
- Garçon nears receiving record
Shanahan assesses Cousins’ play
Follow Us On Twitter
- Source: Redskins near deal with WR Andre Roberts
- Redskins searching in bargain bin for WR's
- Sixteen Redskins could hit open market
- High salaries may push Redskins to draft for OL help
- Skins need Aqib Talib (VIDEO)
- OPEN THREAD: Should Redskins make a move for Darrelle Revis?
- Redskins go into free agency with $19.6 million in cap space
- CSN Mock Draft 4.0 - Where does Clowney go?
- Redskins deny report that they didn't carry over cap space
- Riley re-signs with Redskins