Dec 16, 2013, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, December 16, six days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
Five numbers and notes from the Redskins 27-26 loss to the Falcons.
1. Kirk Cousins passed for 381 yards. Add that to his 329 passing yards in his first career start last year against the Browns and he becomes the first Redskins quarterback of the Super Bowl era to pass for over 300 yards in each of his first two NFL starts.
2. Cousins’ 710 yards in his first two NFL starts combined is the fourth most of the Super Bowl era. Only Cam Newton (854), Mat Flynn (731) and Kevin Kolb (718) have more.
3. Twice this year the Redskins have outgained the opposition by 220 yards or more and lost the game. It happened in Week 6 against the Cowboys (+220 yards) and yesterday against the Falcons (+233). It has happened only two other times since the 1970 merger.
4. Pierre Garçon caught seven passes for 129 yards and a touchdown. He now has 96 receptions on the season, second most in team history. Garçon needs 11 receptions in the team’s last two games to break the team record for receptions in a season. That belongs to Hall of Fame receiver Art Monk, who had 106 catches in 1984.
5. The Redskins have now given up 434 points through 14 games this season. With two games left to play, that is already the most points the Redskins have given up in a full season. (Note: The 1954 team gave up 432 points in a 12-game season).
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 6; Redskins @ Giants 13; Opening Sunday 2014 season 266
—Today’s schedule: Mike Shanahan news conference 3:00, telecast on Comcast SportsNet
In case you missed it
- Turned over: Falcons parlay 7 giveaways into a win
- Players support decision to go for two
- Defense holds up well
- Cousins critical of his performance
- Redskins commit seven turnovers vs. Falcons
- Shanahan walks out of postgame presser
- Glazer says Shanahan is out when season ends
Orakpo proud of his team’s heart
Follow Us On Twitter
- Comfort level the key for Redskins' Smith as he looks for a big season
- Redskins' starting defense is sharp in small preseason sample of work
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Roster bubble ready to pop for many
- Bryan Stork clarifies next move after days of speculation with Redskins
- Redskins cut 10 players before Tuesday deadline
- Reports: News encouraging for injured Redskins LB Ryan Kerrigan after MRI
- Cowboys fans biggest fear - Major injury strikes Tony Romo in preseason
- Former Redskins safety Dashon Goldson to work out with Falcons
- Ryan Kerrigan's early exit vs Bills shows Redskins lack of depth at edge rusher
- Redskins' Cousins both lucky and unlucky vs. Bills