Dec 13, 2013, 5:13 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 13, two days before the Washington Redskins visit the Atlanta Falcons.
Five notes and quotes from yesterday at Redskins Park:
1. Jordan Reed missed practice again with a concussion. He has already missed three games. It would be a shame for him to miss out on the live game snaps for what would be the last six games of the season but perhaps it’s time to put him on injured reserve. It’s 2013 and we now know that a persistent concussion like this certainly is something that you don’t want to mess with.
2. Mike Shanahan was asked if what happens at Redskins Park was impacted by what he sees on TV every night. “I don’t get a chance to watch TV during the season,” he said. That may be true, but don’t think for a second that he isn’t told virtually everything relevant that is said about the team in the media. He gets a report on it every morning from the PR staff. He may not have to wade through the commercials or click on the websites but he knows what the media buzz is.
3. Kyle Shanahan was asked if he had any input into the quarterback change. “I got zero involvement on that,” he said. “I actually game planned for both all Tuesday. It’s a little frustrating game planning for both, but I was told the final decision on Wednesday morning and been rolling with it.” I find it hard to believe that the father did not ask the son his opinion on a decision that would have such an impact on the son. Maybe Kyle didn’t have veto power over the decisions, but “zero involvement” is hard to swallow.
4. Here is another line I just don’t buy from Kyle. “Everybody’s responsible when a guy gets hit,” he said when asked if Robert Griffin III was largely responsible for him getting hit so much. “You can’t, I say this every week, but you can’t ever put a sack on just one guy. It’s not all on Robert. It’s not all on the O-line. It’s on everybody.” But putting a sack on one guy is exactly what coaches do when they grade film. If Polumbus misses a block and his man sacks the QB, it’s on Polumbus. If Griffin stands there in the pocket for 4.5 seconds, it’s on Griffin. If you don’t want to point the finger at one guy in public, fine. Just don’t think that your audience is naïve.
5. Jim Haslett doesn’t think any of his players have checked out but he said that he’s looking for signs and he’ll take action if he sees it. “Guys not hustling to the ball, guys not flying around, not doing what you’re supposed to do. I’ll promise you that, John, if that happens they’re not going to be playing the next week.”
Stat of the day
—Jordan Reed is second on the team to Pierre Garçon in receptions with 46. If he is shut down for the rest of the season due to his concussion he will have missed the last six games but he likely will still finish the year as the team’s second-leading receiver. Santana Moss and Leonard Hankerson are tied for third with 30 each. Hankerson is on injured reserve and Moss is unlikely to catch 16 more passes this year (he is averaging 2.3 per game).
—Days until: Redskins @ Falcons 2; Cowboys @ Redskins 9; Start of NFL free agency 88
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- Kyle still wants RG3 to start
- Report: Redskins coaches believe they will be fired
- Shanahan has no regrets about starting RG3 in Week 1
- Redskins drama no surprise for Spurrier
- Reed misses practice again
- Falcons ready to face Cousins
- Shanahan still won’t deny ESPN report
- State of the Redskins after 13 games
Shanahan on what he expects from Cousins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Is DeSean Jackson's new reality show a distraction?
- NBA free agency causes Redskins safety to speak up
- Why did the Redskins struggle on third down in 2014?
- Redskins offseason Q&A: Who will be the third down back?
- No need to rush to judgment on Redskins' RG3
- Open Mic with Chris Baker
- Best of the Best: Sean Taylor or Charley Taylor?
- Is Chris Baker still the best dancer on the Redskins? He weighs in
- Redskins DL Chris Baker on the team's improved defense
- 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' Episode 1 recap: It's finally here