Dec 12, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Amidst all of the talk of quarterback changes and end of season meetings with the owner, the lead story that came out of Mike Shanahan’s press conference on Wednesday got buried.
Given a third chance to deny an ESPN report that was on the verge of quitting at the end of the 2012 season, Shanahan again did not do so.
Here is what he said when asked about the report, which came out Sunday:
“What I said is there’s always bits and pieces of an article that are true. I’m not going to go into detail what was true about the article. I don’t think it’s fair to the organization and I would speak to that person first before I would speak to anybody else. But when you get partial truths – and I’m not one to say somebody is lying or this isn’t reported correctly – but I’ve heard that my whole life.”
Actually, Shanahan already addressed one of the “bits and pieces” of the article. He denied that he cleaned out his office prior to the payoff game against Seattle, saying that “I’ve got two notebooks and I’ve got an iPad” to clean out any way.
So why address a small detail of the story and then leave the big question—was he about to quit—floating around out there? The rest of the story really doesn’t matter. Was he about to pack it in or wasn’t he?
Shanahan gave similar answers to requests that he confirm or deny the ESPN story after the Chiefs game on Sunday and then again during his news conference on Monday. That question will continue to hang out there, apparently for as long as Shanahan deems it to be necessary to what appears to be his end game.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins position preview: Cornerback
- Redskins will benefit the least from Richardson, McClain and Hardy suspensions
- Even after free agency, Redskins Super Bowl odds still get worse
- Is play action a cure for Redskins' and RG3's problems?
- Ryan Kerrigan gives update on knee after surgery
- Redskins preseason Q&A: Which rookie will have the most impact?
- Redskins position preview: Quarterback
- Is DeSean Jackson's new reality show a distraction?
- NBA free agency causes Redskins safety to speak up
- Why did the Redskins struggle on third down in 2014?