Dec 10, 2013, 6:15 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, December 10, five days before the Washington Redskins visit the Atlanta Falcons.
Whether the Redskins have a new coaching staff or not, there are some positions on the field that will be in need of upgrades via free agency or the draft. Here are my top five, in no particular order. Chime in with yours in the comments.
1. Offensive line—I could have made this a real easy post and just listed left guard, center, right guard, and right tackle as four of the positions of need. The reasoning here is very simple; if the coach is benching the franchise quarterback because he can’t be protected, it’s time to get a new line.
2. Inside/middle linebacker—I’m working on the assumption here that London Fletcher is retired or not resigned by the team. There is nobody groomed to replace him. Even if the team goes to a 4-3 scheme, Perry Riley may not be suited for middle linebacker duty.
3. Safety—If there is one area that Redskins fans would like to see a new coaching regime fix it’s this one. It’s been a problem area since that awful day in 2007 when Sean Taylor died.
4. Wide receiver—Part of the development of Griffin is on him. Part of it is on the team to get him additional legitimate weapons and a second wide receiver would help him out a lot.
5. Punter and kicker—Mike Shanahan said yesterday that both Sav Rocca and Kai Forbath are “struggling” and most fans and any new coaching staff that might come in would almost certainly agree.
—Days until: Redskins @ Falcons 5; Cowboys @ Redskins 12; Opening Sunday 2014 season 271
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
In case you missed it
- Shanahan: “No more comments”
- Shanahan considering shutting down RG3
- Cofield says it’s business as usual
- Shanahan one on one: “Focus on the job at hand”
- Royster will go to IR
- Shanahan says he wants to return
- Points tell the ugly truth about the 2013 Redskins
- Redskins’ 3-10 record worst in 19 years
Will RG3 get benched?
Follow Us On Twitter
- NTK: Redskins by the numbers—First down rushing woes must be fixed
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar
- Colin Cowherd again trolls D.C. athlete - but this time it's Kirk Cousins
- Redskins release veteran linebacker Hayward
- OPEN THREAD: Examining ket stats to improve the Redskins run game
- Need to Know: Pressure is on Redskins' Scherff to perform at a high level very quickly