Dec 6, 2013, 5:30 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 6, two days before the Washington Redskins host the Kansas City Chiefs.
With the meaningful part of the 2013 season over, it’s time to take a look ahead. Here are the five Redskins who are will be free agents that the team should want to bring back.
1. Brian Orakpo—If the organization is convinced that he can remain healthy, the Redskins will make a strong bid to give their 2009 top draft pick a contract that will keep him with the team for the rest of his career. But pass rushers are valuable commodities and he could get too pricey.
2. Perry Riley—The Redskins have been grooming Riley to replace London Fletcher as the defensive signal caller in the middle. He hasn’t had a great year but he’s certainly worth keeping and the relatively low price tag the inside linebacker spot commands should make it affordable.
3. DeAngelo Hall—He took a $6 million pay cut in order to return and he has been the rock and playmaker of the defensive backfield. Hall might give something of a hometown discount but he will want to recoup some of the cash he lost in 2013.
4. Rob Jackson—Whether Orakpo is back or not, Jackson is a good player to have around. His strength is in pass coverage and the team should bring him back and continue to try to find ways to utilize his skills.
5. Brandon Meriweather—He would definitely have to be on a one-year deal for the right price and he might need to be signed with the hope that he will be beaten out of his job by Phillip Thomas or Bacarri Rambo before the year is out. But for right now he is the one player who can strike any degree of fear into the hearts of receivers gong over the middle.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins have not beaten the Chiefs since September 18, 1983. That was 11,038 days ago.
—Days until: Chiefs @ Redskins 2; Redskins @ Falcons 9; Cowboys @ Redskins 16
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- RG3 denies “insecurity” reports
- Trent Williams back at practice
- Kyle: Relationship with RG3 remains the same
- Can the Redskins keep Orakpo?
- Free agents: Who stays, who goes?
- RG3 says game is still fun
- What’s at stake vs. Chiefs?
- Moss wants consistency from refs
- Trent Williams expects to play
Tandler and Tarik talk free agents
Follow Us On Twitter
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar
- Colin Cowherd again trolls D.C. athlete - but this time it's Kirk Cousins
- Redskins release veteran linebacker Hayward
- OPEN THREAD: Examining ket stats to improve the Redskins run game
- Need to Know: Pressure is on Redskins' Scherff to perform at a high level very quickly
- Josh Norman to Odell Beckham: Don't know how to respond other than laugh