Dec 6, 2013, 5:30 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 6, two days before the Washington Redskins host the Kansas City Chiefs.
With the meaningful part of the 2013 season over, it’s time to take a look ahead. Here are the five Redskins who are will be free agents that the team should want to bring back.
1. Brian Orakpo—If the organization is convinced that he can remain healthy, the Redskins will make a strong bid to give their 2009 top draft pick a contract that will keep him with the team for the rest of his career. But pass rushers are valuable commodities and he could get too pricey.
2. Perry Riley—The Redskins have been grooming Riley to replace London Fletcher as the defensive signal caller in the middle. He hasn’t had a great year but he’s certainly worth keeping and the relatively low price tag the inside linebacker spot commands should make it affordable.
3. DeAngelo Hall—He took a $6 million pay cut in order to return and he has been the rock and playmaker of the defensive backfield. Hall might give something of a hometown discount but he will want to recoup some of the cash he lost in 2013.
4. Rob Jackson—Whether Orakpo is back or not, Jackson is a good player to have around. His strength is in pass coverage and the team should bring him back and continue to try to find ways to utilize his skills.
5. Brandon Meriweather—He would definitely have to be on a one-year deal for the right price and he might need to be signed with the hope that he will be beaten out of his job by Phillip Thomas or Bacarri Rambo before the year is out. But for right now he is the one player who can strike any degree of fear into the hearts of receivers gong over the middle.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins have not beaten the Chiefs since September 18, 1983. That was 11,038 days ago.
—Days until: Chiefs @ Redskins 2; Redskins @ Falcons 9; Cowboys @ Redskins 16
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- RG3 denies “insecurity” reports
- Trent Williams back at practice
- Kyle: Relationship with RG3 remains the same
- Can the Redskins keep Orakpo?
- Free agents: Who stays, who goes?
- RG3 says game is still fun
- What’s at stake vs. Chiefs?
- Moss wants consistency from refs
- Trent Williams expects to play
Tandler and Tarik talk free agents
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions