Dec 5, 2013, 6:14 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 5, three days before the Washington Redskins host the Kansas City Chiefs.
Five notes from around Redskins Park:
1. Maurice Hurt moved from the PUP list to injured reserve with, according to Mike Shanahan, no specific injury. “I don’t think he really has one [injury] in particular but you’ve got activate somebody or deactivate somebody and we decided to go in that direction.” He had arthroscopic surgery on his knee during OTAs, started camp on the PUP list, and has been there ever since. Hurt, who started eight games at left guard as a rookie in 2011, has a year left on his contract and he presumably will be back to compete for a job in 2014.
2. For much of the season, the Redskins’ injury report was not much to look at. Many weeks there were perhaps a few players who were limited in practice but the list has rarely been long and the injures haven’t been very serious. The Wednesday list was eight names long with four starters—OT Trent Williams (foot), S Brandon Meriweather (chest), S Reed Doughty (concussion/shoulder), and TE Jordan Reed (concussion)—being held out.
3. Williams was reportedly in a walking boot yesterday but it was gone today. “I feel fine,” he said. “I had a bone bruise.” When asked if he would be able to play he said, “I think so.” Williams has not missed a start in the last two seasons.
4. Robert Griffin III said that he hopes to be able to work on some aspects of his game during the last four contests this season. But the goal remains the same as it has all year. “We still approach it the way we normally do – try to win the game,” said Griffin. “As a player, coaches can only coach so much. You have to be able to look at yourself and be hard on yourself, too. Those are the things that I’m probably not going to share but those are the things that I try to focus on myself to just get better each week.”
5. I asked Shanahan if there has been any common thread running through the pass protection issues the team has had lately. Griffin has been sacked 19 times in the last four games. His answer was expectedly vague. “You know if it’s the offensive line, you know if it’s the quarterback, you know if it’s the running back, that’s what you do,” he said. “So in an area if you do have five sacks or you do have four sacks you’re saying, ‘Hey, where did those sacks occur? Do we have to get rid of the ball quicker? Is the offensive lineman? Is it the left tackle, the guard, the center, did they miss an assignment?’”
Stat of the day
—If Alfred Morris rushes for four yards on Sunday, he will become the sixth Redskin to gain 1,000 yards or more for two consecutive seasons (John Riggins and Clinton Portis each accomplished the feat twice). He will be the first Redskin to do it in his first two years in the league.
—Redskins Hall of Fame wide receiver Art Monk was born on this date in 1957
—Days until: Chiefs @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Falcons 10; Cowboys @ Redskins 17
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, and Jim Haslett news conferences and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- Redskins’ injury list grows longer
- RG3: “We are not a fragmented team”
- Bowen has surgery, six-month recovery
- RG3: Redskins have “a winning recipe”
- Hurt goes to IR
- Offense losing steam in the second half
- After knocking him down, Tuck gives RG3 a lift
- State of the Redskins after 12 games
- First look at Redskins-Chiefs
RG3 talks about getting hit
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins 2014 Schedule: Dates, times, TV info released
- We (reportedly) have 1/8 of the Redskins 2014 schedule
- Redskins Pulse: NFL schedule released
- RG3 will drive at RIR on Saturday
- Who will assume Fletcher's leadership role on the Redskins?
- Draft chatter: 30 players invited to NFL draft in New York
- OPEN THREAD: Where does Alfred Morris rate?
- NFL schedule release date announced
- Five players the Redskins should hope slide down in the draft
- Dan Snyder on DeSean Jackson: 'He’s really a good guy'