Dec 3, 2013, 5:41 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, December 3, five days before the Redskins host the Chiefs.
Five notes from Mike Shanahan’s Monday news conference:
1. During the Redskins’ second-quarter touchdown drive Robert Griffin III scrambled out of bounds and tried to stop on a hard surface near the stands. He took a nasty spill, drawing gasps from the fans in the stands. Shanahan did not know what the surface was. “Well, I didn’t see it until today. That was a fall,” he said. “That was probably the best hit of the whole day. We’ve got to do something because somebody can seriously get hurt right there.”
2. Shanahan was asked about his message to the team after being eliminated from the playoffs. “After it’s over and you go out there and play and the way you prepare, you play just as though you are in the playoffs,” he said. “You want to spoil somebody else’s year. You want to play at a high level. You’re always being evaluated for the future. That never changes.”
3. Although you have to think that Alfred Morris should have had more than 11 carries in a game that the Redskins never trailed by more than one score, it was pretty clear that the Giants were focused on stopping Morris. He had just 26 yards on those 11 carries. “You have to take a look at the front too, what type of front you’re going against,” said Shanahan. “You’ve got to look at the front. I know that doesn’t mean anything to you, but it does to people that try to run the football. We believe in the running game, I think you realize that, so for us not to run it, there’s a reason why.”
4. It seems that Shanahan was willing to give a pass to his three veteran players who committed dumb penalties in the second half. On DeAngelo Hall’s unsportsmanlike conduct penalty: “After I took a look at what the offensive lineman did to him, I could understand why he retaliated even though you never want a guy to retaliate.” On Santana Moss’ 15-yard penalty for arguing a holding call with the refs: “I could see why he was upset because I agree with Santana, it should not have been called a holding penalty.” On Pierre Garçon getting five yards for kicking a ball in frustration: “It was one of the best kicks I’ve ever seen, I’ve never seen a ball go that far – but on the serious side he’s one of the most fierce competitors I’ve been around. If I get everybody playing like him, you won’t need coaches.”
5. Veteran safety Reed Doughty suffered a concussion during the game. Earlier this season he was forced to miss the Broncos game because of a concussion. Two such injuries in a little over a month certain causes raised concerns about Doughty. “Yeah, I think you’re always more concerned after the first concussion,” said Shanahan. ‘When the guy has a second one there is more concern”
Stat of the day
—Robert Griffin III has now attempted 430 passes this year, already more than the 393 he attempted in 15 games in 2012. But he still has to pass for 161 yards to match his 3,200 total from last year. Griffin is down a full yard per pass attempt this year (7.1) to last (8.1).
—Days until: Chiefs @ Redskins 5; Redskins @ Falcons 12; Cowboys @ Redskins 19
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
In case you missed it
- Shanahan: Redskins are not “playing for the future”
- Shanahan said refs missed penalty on key play
- Fletcher has sprained left ankle
- Hall has a sore hip
- NFL releases statement on down snafu
- Penalties prove costly for Redskins
- Why did they let the down mistake slip?
- Redskins opponents sack happy
- Offense disappears in the second half
Shanahan on playing for pride
Follow Us On Twitter
- Can the Redskins defense follow up on strong game vs. 49ers?
- Redskins will stay in house to fill needs at cornerback
- Trent Williams 'optimistic' about playing in Indy
- RG3 opens up on being benched: 'It was Coach's decision'
- Despite No. 3 status, Cousins remains confident
- Gruden: Allen, Snyder 'all on board' with decision to bench RG3
- Can Colt McCoy get the Redskins offense going?
- Production the bottom line in RG3 decision
- Gruden, Redskins react to RG3's benching
- Redskins teammates 'surprised' by RG3's benching