Nov 28, 2013, 6:25 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28, three days before the Redskins host the New York Giants.
Five notes and quotes from Redskins Park:
1. Robert Griffin III was asked if he had any personal goals or things to work on during the last five weeks of the season. He had a one-word answer: “Win”.
2. Griffin also had a very brief answer when he was asked if he had any comments about 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks’ comment that the Redskins QB shouldn’t be playing. “I do not,” said Griffin. “I appreciate his compassion and they’re a really good defense. They played extremely well. I know their coach was excited about that. We didn’t play well and we will play better.”
3. Mike Shanahan was asked why he chose to put Santana Moss back deep on punts. After joking that he got the idea from listening to a local radio station he gave a straight answer. “I talked to Santana and wanted to know if he wanted to go back there and he said, ‘Coach anything to help the team out,’” he said. “Sometimes, I don’t always want to put a veteran back there for obvious reasons, but he said, ‘Hey, whatever I can do to help the football team I want to do,’ and I thought he was our best choice to get a little spark going.”
4. Trent Williams was rather colorful in refuting the idea that he and his fellow linemen are not helping up Robert Griffin III after he gets knocked to the ground due to any sort of rift in the relationship. “I mean, that’s some dumbass s**t,” he said, shaking his head. “Like I said, when you’re losing people are going to start throwing around stuff. I mean, I really don’t know what they’re trying to get at.”
5. Shanahan said that the team has not filled its 53rd roster spot yet. If they hold a practice with an empty spot on the active roster that usually means that a member of the practice squad is likely to be moved up. “We have an idea. We’ve got a couple of people in mind – possibilities. Sometimes, there’s injuries where if you don’t have to replace somebody right away, you can wait till the end of the week or possibly after the game, but right now we haven’t done anything.”
Stat of the day
—This via ESPN 980: The 3-8 Redskins are in the top 10 in total offense. The other 9 teams in the top 10 are a combined 61-37-1.
—Days until: Giants @ Redskins 3; Chiefs @ Redskins 10; Redskins @ Falcons 17
—Today’s schedule: Practice 10:25; Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, and Jim Haslett news conferences and player availability after practice (approx. 12:30)
In case you missed it
- RG3: Don’t mess with my dad
- Six year later, Redskins and their fans miss Sean Taylor
- 3 and out: Redskins bottoming out
- Davis denies he missed meetings
- Jordan Reed on target to return
- Baylor coach refutes Griffin report
- Where are we? The Redskins after 11 games
- RG3 must play every remaining 2013 snap
- Shanahan gives no-comment comment on Davis
- First look at Redskins vs Giants
3 and Out: Redskins vs. Giants
Follow Us On Twitter
- NFL Mock Draft 7.0: Five teams that can shake up round one
- Redskins go full Kermit after Eagles sign Tim Tebow
- Robert Griffin III says he's been studying hard
- Redskins know improved special teams a must in 2015
- Redskins were spectators, not students, when Patriots visited
- RG3 says he's ready to "welcome the competition"
- 25 Redskins questions: Will Griffin hold on to the starting QB job?
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Alabama WR Amari Cooper
- Report: Eagles set to sign Tim Tebow
- Five Redskins draft thoughts including the best defender on the board