Nov 28, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
There has been a lot of chatter about Robert Griffin III not getting helped off the ground after being sacked. It started with a few tweets during the Redskins’ drubbing at the hands of the 49ers on Monday night. Perhaps prompted by those tweets, the website The Big Lead took a look at all of the times that Griffin has been sacked this year and found that linemen have helped Griffin up after three of the 26 times he has been sacked this year.
The storyline became that there is some sort of rift between Griffin and his offensive line because, well, don’t offensive linemen always help their quarterbacks up after a sack? Or do they?
My friend Chris Chase at For the Win came up with some evidence that linemen helping QB’s up is the exception rather than the rule. He pulled video of 20 quarterback sacks at random and found that a lineman helped up the sacked QB after just one of them.
The picture evidence is in the post right here. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Colin Kaepernick, Joe Flacco, virtually every quarterback sack that was pulled up showed the quarterback picking himself up off the ground.
Chase admits that his “research” was not scientific. But neither is looking at what happens after the sacks of just one quarterback without any context at all.
The conclusion was spot on:
Does this mean offensive linemen across the league have beef with their quarterbacks? Of course not. The original RG3 data was a simple case of confirmation bias. RG3 is struggling. There’s been some public tensions with Mike Shanahan. The fact that offensive linemen don’t help up their quarterback must mean RG3 has lost the locker room, right?
Maybe he has, maybe he hasn’t. Someone offering RG3 a hand after a sack won’t tell you either way.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Matich not buying Haynesworth's latest excuse
- Day in the Life: Pierre Garçon goes hard. Real hard.
- Best of the Best (Round 2): Bobby Mitchell vs. Art Monk
- Best of the Best (Round 2): John Riggins vs. Sean Taylor
- Redskins position preview: Free safety
- Best of the Best (Round 2): Darrell Green vs. Joe Theismann
- Best of the Best (Round 2): Sonny Jurgensen vs. Dexter Manley
- Report: Giants pull contract offer from Jason Pierre-Paul
- Haynesworth rips Redskins in retrospective letter to himself
- Redskins offseason Q&A: How will the carries get divvied up?