Nov 27, 2013, 5:30 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, November 27, four days before the Redskins host the New York Giants.
Five things you need to know about Redskins vs. Giants:
1. After throwing 15 interceptions in the Giants’ first six games, Eli Manning has apparently figured out what color jerseys his teammates are wearing. He has thrown just two picks in the last five games. The Redskins had 10 interceptions in their first nine games but none in their last two.
2. The Giants’ four-game winning streak came as they faced a string of pretty bad quarterbacks. It started against Josh Freeman after he had been with the Vikings for just a couple of weeks They then beat the Eagles with Matt Barkley taking most of the snaps. The Raiders were next and Terrelle Pryor was probably the best QB of the bunch. The Giants then beat Scott Tolzien and the Packers. When they faced a solid quarterback in Tony Romo, they lost. It’s hard to say what this means for the Redskins. At times Robert Griffin III plays as well as Romo, at others he looks like a Tolzien clone.
3. New York has managed to piece together a rushing game out of the mended Andre Brown and the revived Brandon Jacobs. The pair rushed for 202 yards against the Cowboys on Sunday with Brown getting 127 and Jacobs going for 74. Jacobs has played well against the Redskins throughout his career. He has 700 yards against Washington, the most he has against any team.
4. One player to watch on the Giants injury front is wide receiver Hakeem Nicks. He was a surprise inactive for the Dallas game after expressing confidence that he would play despite a groin/abdominal injury. Tom Coughlin said that Nicks didn’t play because he had not practiced all week. Nicks is having a frustrating year going into 2014 free agency. He has yet to catch a touchdown pass this year.
5. The Giants’ defensive line used to feast on opposing quarterbacks but they haven’t struck much fear in them this year. They have just 18 sacks; compare that to the Redskins who have 27. They are matched up against the Redskins’ offensive line, which has been quite leaky as of late. It shapes up as a matchup of a stoppable force against a very moveable object.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins have now been outscored by 58 points in 1st quarter this season (no other team has been outscored by more than 45)
—Days until: Giants @ Redskins 4; Chiefs @ Redskins 11; Redskins @ Falcons 18
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:40; Mike Shanahan, Robert Griffin III news conferences and player availability after practice (approx. 2:00)
In case you missed it
- Bowen out for the season
- Redskins make roster moves, more to come
- Donovan McNabb utters nonsense about Mike Shanahan
- Blown opportunity a turning point
- Morris: Redskins had a poor week of practice
- Shanahan: Turnovers biggest difference from 2012
- Redskins’ O-line becoming a weak link
- Monday night and FedEx Field a bad mix for Redskins
RG3’s development won’t happen overnight
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins searching in bargain bin for WR's
- Sixteen Redskins could hit open market
- High salaries may push Redskins to draft for OL help
- Skins need Aqib Talib (VIDEO)
- OPEN THREAD: Should Redskins make a move for Darrelle Revis?
- Redskins go into free agency with $19.6 million in cap space
- CSN Mock Draft 4.0 - Where does Clowney go?
- Redskins deny report that they didn't carry over cap space
- Report: Riley re-signs with Redskins
- Possible free agents for Skins (VIDEO)