Nov 24, 2013, 8:18 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, November 24, one day before the Washington Redskins host the San Francisco 49ers.
What they’re saying
Here is a look at what some NFL media types are saying about tomorrow’s Eagles-Redskins game:
Elliot Harrison NFL.com goes chalk
49ers 27, Redskins 17—“ We tried looking at this game through the prism of the Redskins turning their season around, but we’re just not seeing it. The quarterback matchup is close, as are the teams’ running games. The issue for Washington is defense, where about the only thing going for the Redskins is the pass rush (which has been strictly mediocre). It doesn’t help much that Kai Forbath has missed some very makeable kicks.”
Comment: That last part hasn’t really come back to haunt the Redskins yet but it could on Monday.
From the MMQB.com, Andy Benoit says to look for a right-handed run game
For Washington, running effectively usually involves running behind left tackle Trent Williams, who might be the most athletic blocker in the NFC. (It’s either him or the Cowboys’ Tyron Smith.) This season, 403 of Morris’s 918 rushing yards have come on “wide left” runs. However, don’t be surprised Monday night if Morris runs more to the right. Not only would he avoid San Fran’s menacing run-anchor, Justin Smith, he’d also get a chance to attack either banged-up end Ray McDonald, who is playing with a biceps injury and sat last week with a sprained ankle, or backup end Tony Jerod-Eddie, who is not great at the point of attack.
Comment: Justin Smith is good but I still have Morris go in Williams’ direction until they stop it.
They guys at Pro Football Talk both picked the Niners by 10:
Michael David Smith: “San Francisco’s offense is slumping, but a trip to Washington is just the thing to fix an offensive slump. 49ers 30, Redskins 20.” Mike Florio: “The 49ers have more talent and motivation to get back on the right track, or risk sliding into third place in their division. 49ers 23, Redskins 13.”
Comment: The Redskins defense has been a slump buster all year. If Colin Kaepernick can bust out of his yearlong slump, it will be a long night for the Redskins.
On ESPN.com, Hoge goes out on a limb.
Of the 13 NFL.com analysts and talking heads, only Merrill Hodge picks the Redskins to win on Monday night.
Mike Tanier of Sports on Earth laments the lack of focus on RG3 vs. Kaepernick
49ers 27, Redskins 16: “Robert Griffin called the Redskins’ too-predictable gameplan against the Eagles “disheartening.” He then handed his thesaurus off to Colin Kaepernick to describe a 49ers offense that produced one 20-yard pass play in two weeks and deploys practice squad tight ends as slot receivers. Dejecting, demoralizing, dispiriting, appalling, consternating . . . Two of the most electrifying, dynamic young athletes on the American sports scene face off on Monday night, but all we can talk about is predictable offenses and inappropriate language. Disheartening. Disheartening.”
Comment: I’ll bet that both Griffin and Kaepernick do something that is worth the price of admission.
—Days until: Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 1; Giants @ Redskins 7; Chiefs @ Redskins 14
—Today’s schedule: No availability, walk through at Redskins Park
In case you missed it
- Redskins comeback falls short
- Trent Williams says official swore at him
- Final play for Griffin a forgettable one
- Redskins’ bus egged in Philly
- Morris could take rushing lead
- Shanahan will talk to NFL about Williams incident
- Hankerson may need LCL surgery
- One play a microcosm of Redskins’ problems
- McCoy’s impact greater than his stats indicated
- Slow starts plague Redskins
- Redskins pile up yards but losses mount, too
- Fletcher knows the end is near
- Hankerson is out for the year
- Despite change in status, Carriker still a “long shot” to play
- RG3: I would take some of that back
- Moss offers leadership advice to RG3
- First look at Redskins-49ers
- RG3, Kyle talking it over
- Moss and Garçon focused on football
- Redskins sign Lance Lewis from practice squad
- Fletcher on RG3: “The kid gets it”
- Hankerson will lose valuable time
- Official in Williams case suspended
- Biggers fined $21K
- Reed still sidelined with concussion
- Run defense to be tested again with Gore
- Davis expected to be active
- Redskins expect the best out of Davis, Morgan
- Garçon on pace for personal, team bests
- Redskins-49ers Fantasy Fix
- Jordan Reed ruled out for 49ers game
- Kaepernick, RG3 draw comparisons
- Field goal woes plague Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- RG3 sets 'record straight' on Instagram snafu
- Redskins trim roster releasing OT Smith, moving Galette to IR
- Griffin no longer the starter but he's still on the Redskins—for now
- Redskins trim roster down to 75 after first round of cuts
- If his big chance is going to last, Cousins must cut down on turnovers
- Mike Shanahan: Kirk Cousins 'is a franchise quarterback'
- Redskins players don't seem surprised by big QB news
- Cousins on how RG3 has handled news of being benched
- Cousins on starting, getting vote of confidence from Gruden
- RG3's Redskin career: How did we get to where we are today?