Nov 21, 2013, 5:47 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, November 21, four days before the Washington Redskins host the San Francisco 49ers.
Five things from Redskins Park
1. Even though Mike Shanahan said that he is a “very long shot” to be activated, Adam Carriker took to the practice field for the first time this year. He has been struggling to rehab a torn quad he suffered 14 months ago in St. Louis. There is absolutely no harm in letting him get onto the field and get in some work with his teammates, however limited it may be. Carriker’s future with the team is cloudy due to the injury and his $4.7 million 2014 salary. He could agree to a lesser amount, of course.
2. It’s too bad that Leonard Hankerson is going to end up this year on injured reserve. That will make twice in his three NFL seasons that he has missed a good chunk of the end of the season due to an injury. He missed the last half of his rookie 2011 season with a hip injury. This one, an LCL injury, doesn’t seem to be as serious. He lost virtually all of the 2012 offseason program while recuperating from the hip. The LCL issue shouldn’t cost him any offseason time but it does cost him regular season snaps that are invaluable for his development.
3. It’s hard to tell what to make of the whole RG3-Santana Moss-Mike Shanahan communicating through the media deal. On the one hand, it’s parsing words, a discussion over what pronouns get used. On the other hand, we have some media-savvy individuals throwing out words that are very easily taken in the way that they were. A win or two is probably the only thing that will make it all stop.
4. London Fletcher talked about his future on Wednesday. “I’ll evaluate it at the end of the season and see where it go,” Fletcher said, before adding with a laugh, “I don’t have a lot of football left in me.” How much he has left does not depend completely on what he thinks. It’s difficult to fathom the Redskins bringing him back for anything approaching the two-year, $10.75 million contract they gave him in 2012. They may want to start fresh at Mike linebacker. It will be interesting to see how things unfold if Fletcher wants to continue and the team wants to move on.
5. Perhaps the last six games of this season will lack playoff implications. But according to Shanahan they won’t lack meaning. With some 20 free agents to be on the roster and many more who could be released without a damaging cap hit, plenty of jobs will be at stake. “Are players being evaluated just like last year? Sure they are, and rightfully so,” said Shanahan. “We’ll see what kind of character they have, how they fight, how they play, and they better – we’re playing some good football teams.”
—Days until: Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 4; Giants @ Redskins 10; Chiefs @ Redskins 17
—Today’s schedule: Player availability 11:15; Jim Haslett news conference 12:00; Practice 1:00; Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00)
In case you missed it
- Fletcher knows the end is near
- Hankerson is out for the year
- Despite change in status, Carriker still a “long shot” to play
- RG3: I would take some of that back
- Moss offers leadership advice to RG3
- First look at Redskins-49ers
Redskins return to locker room, say they are united
Follow Us On Twitter
- Tropical storm pouring down rain in Tampa as game time approaches for Redskins (VIDEO)
- Redskins dress in matching Tommy Bahama shirts at Welcome Home Luncheon
- Need to Know: Some Redskins focus on Bucs, others on Steelers
- Redskins vs Buccaneers: 5 things to watch in game with major weather concerns
- Forced to make decision on rookie, Redskins move Keith Marshall to injured reserve
- After Tony Romo injury, a new odds favorite emerges in NFC East
- Redskins' Trent Williams on Stephen Paea and Perry Riley release: 'It's tough, man'
- Redskins release Perry Riley, Stephen Paea in roster trim-down
- Redskins Playbook: QB Sudfeld now on a compressed learning schedule
- NFL had no choice but to move Redskins vs. Bucs