Nov 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, November 17, the day the Washington Redskins play the Philadelphia Eagles.
Second-half running off slightly
Are the Redskins abandoning the run?
That seems to be a popular theme among the team’s fans and on talk radio. But such impressions seem to be based on play calls in some very narrow circumstances such as the fourth-quarter series of three passes that were called after the Broncos tied the October 27 game at 21. Let’s take a broader look at the Redskins’ second-half running game.
We’re going to compare two sets of games here. The one from last year covers the last seven games, the season-ending winning streak that pushed the team into the playoffs. In theory, that stretch of games should have set the blueprint for this year, showing the way that this offense can be successful.
The other set of games is composed of the 2013 season minus the first two games. The games against the Eagles and Packers got away from the Redskins very quickly and the rushing game was not much of a factor. The Redskins’ record in these games is 3-4.
In the last seven games of last year, the Redskins rushed 235 times for 1,214 yards. That’s an average of 5.2 yards per carry and 173 yards per game.
In games 3-9 this year they have run the ball 233 times, just two fewer attempts than they had to close out 2012. They have been slightly less effective, gaining 1,182 yards, 5.1 per carry. But, overall, we’re looking at a difference of less than three percent over seven games, not very significant.
But where you do see a difference is that they are running less after halftime. In the second halves and overtime last year the Redskins ran 142 times for 754 yards (5.3 per carry). This year they have 121 attempts for 643 yards (5.3 yards/carry). The difference of about three carries and 16 yards per game. That’s not huge but it’s significant.
In the seven game’s we’re looking at from this year, the Redskins have trailed at some point in the second half in all of them, so there might be some good reasons to throw the ball rather than run it.
While most of the seven games to close out last year were competitive late, the Redskins only trailed in the second half against the Giants and Ravens.
The Redskins hope to be running out the clock late in today’s game against the Eagles.
—Days until: Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 8; Giants @ Redskins 14; Chiefs @ Redskins 21
—Today’s schedule: Redskins @ Eagles 1 p.m.
In case you missed it
- Redskins need punt return production
- Redskins rushing down 18 yards per game from 2012
- Five Redskins who have exceeded expectations
- Nick Williams to be promoted to active roster
- Redskins face an improved Foles
- Hall: Stopping Eagles is “a big task”
- Griffin now .500 in game-winning opportunities
- Who will fill the Redskins’ open roster spot?
- Five Redskins who need to step up
- Fan questions: Fixing the O-line
- Doughty: “We control our own destiny”
- Will special teams sink the Redskins?
- Five pivotal moments for the 2013 Redskins
- Golston: “The leash is short”
- RG3: “I’ve been hit a bunch”
- 3 and Out: Redskins face a more familiar foe
- Maurice Hurt returns to practice
- “One game at a time”
- Nick Williams “elated” for opportunity
- Davis “not surprised” about losing incentive bonus
- Where are we? State of the Redskins, Week 11
- First look at Redskins-Eagles
- Kyle: “I want Robert to be Robert”
- Morgan tries to be upbeat despite reduced role
- RG3: Offense is “clicking”
- D-Hall suffers minor injury
- Haslett thinks the Redskins can make a run
- Baker fined for tripping Peterson
- Shanahan “not at all” concerned about contract
- Griffin, Shanahan not looking for revenge vs. Eagle
- Kerrigan says something has to change
- Stopping McCoy is the top job
- Point-Counterpoint: Another run?
- Green questions RG3’s leadership
- Hall questionable vs. Eagles
- Hankerson’ progress has cut Morgan’s playing time
- Will the Redskins turn up the pass rush heat?
- Game preview: Redskins at Eagles
- Kyle Shanahan wants fast start for the Redskins
- More burst leads to more production for Morris
- Green admits he’s not familiar with Redskins current locker room
- Redskins suffering from slow starts
Follow Us On Twitter
- McCloughan says he prefers low-mileage running backs
- McCloughan may use extra 2017 picks to deal for players this year
- McCloughan reveals where the Redskins will line up Cravens in base defense
- Redskins release eight players on first Monday following draft
- Former Redskins DT Stubblefield charged with raping disabled woman
- Redskins release rehabbing Chris Culliver, Scot McCloughan says
- DeAngelo Hall on Josh Norman: 'I was all about trying to get him'
- Kirk Cousins on long-term deal: 'I want to go out and earn it'
- 3 things to know about Redskins first round pick Josh Doctson
- 'Grateful,' 'Proud' and 'Too blessed:' Rookies are thrilled to be Redskins