Nov 15, 2013, 5:32 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, November 15, two days before the Washington Redskins play the Philadelphia Eagles.
Here from the podium at Redskins Park are five notes and quotes from the head coach and coordinators.
1. When the Redskins were 3-6 last year, Jim Haslett unleashed a variety of blitzes on opposing quarterbacks. As one might suspect, he was not very revealing in his answer. “We’ll try to do whatever we can do if the opportunity arises, but obviously there’s things you can do based on who you’re playing, personnel, all that stuff,” he said. “But we’re always looking to do something to help us win the game.”
2. Mike Vick is unlikely to be playing but that doesn’t mean the Redskins can sleep on the possibility of the quarterback run. Nick Foles can gain some yardage on the ground. “It hasn’t changed at all,” said Haslett when asked about the Eagles’ QB running with Foles in the lineup. “Now they’ll still run the zone read, they still run option, they don’t do anything different than they’ve done before. It’s just instead of maybe a 10-yard gain it’s a six-yard gain. Nick’s got 20 rushing attempts for 80 yards this year.
3. Kyle Shanahan was asked about the notion of running “your” system regardless of how it fits the talent of the players on your roster. He gave a very blunt answer. “It’s pretty stupid. I personally don’t think anybody really does that,” he said. “Guys have systems they believe in but usually a system is language and they have plays that they like, but coaches aren’t just going to keep running plays that their players aren’t good at unless they want to get fired and suck at everything they do.”
4. Last year when the Redskins stood at 3-6 at the bye, Mike Shanahan had a presentation prepared that showed them the path to the playoffs to show that it could be done. The Redskins were three games out of the division lead at the time and they needed to be shown that the playoffs were still a possibility. Now they are a game and a half out so Shanahan took a different tack when meeting with the team this week. “What we did do is we went back through and looked at last year where we were at after nine games and went through the stats on both offense, defense and special teams,” said Shanahan. “Kind of gave them an idea on what we needed to improve on, on both sides of the ball as well as special teams. So you talk about that collectively – what we have to do over the last seven games.”
5. Robert Griffin III has been playing better as the season has gone on and Kyle was asked if that was due in part to some chemistry brewing between the quarterback and play caller. “The more time you get with somebody – I think I’ve got a pretty good feel on what he does best. You know what he does best and you’re always trying to push him to do more and that’s the goal working with him.”
Stat of the day
—Robert Griffin III has lost three fumbles this season. He lost two all of last year.
—Days until: Redskins @ Eagles 2; Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 10; Giants @ Redskins 16
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
In case you missed it
- Kyle: “I want Robert to be Robert”
- Morgan tries to be upbeat despite reduced role
- RG3: Offense is “clicking”
- D-Hall suffers minor injury
- Haslett thinks the Redskins can make a run
- Baker fined for tripping Peterson
- Shanahan “not at all” concerned about contract
- Griffin, Shanahan not looking for revenge vs. Eagles
- Kerrigan says something has to change
Shanahan says special teams “much improved”
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Garçon stays late, shows leadership
- Report: Injury will sideline Breeland 'only' into early regular season
- Galette: 'Thankful to be with such a functional organization'
- Redskins training camp practice report, Day 2
- Bashaud Breeland suffers scary injury at training camp
- DeAngelo Hall gives update on Bashaud Breeland's injury
- Galette participates in first workout as a Redskin
- Redskins practice news and notes, Day 2
- Veterans expect Galette to give Redskins a big boost
- Galette contract makes Redskins signing a no-brainer