Nov 14, 2013, 5:42 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, November 14, three days before the Washington Redskins play the Philadelphia Eagles.
Here are five items of interest from Redskins Park:
1. Ryan Kerrigan talked about the inability of the Redskins’ pass rush to get sacks and pressures when they have the lead in the fourth quarter. “That’s what’s disappointing about these two weeks is that we have had teams in situations that we as pass rushers want them, that’s a double-digit lead with not much time left, and we haven’t been able to capitalize,” the third-year linebacker said. “That’s something that has to change. I don’t know if it’s a mindset thing or a physical thing or both but it’s got to change.”
2. Jarvis Jenkins was asked if he’d like to see the team get more aggressive in their pass rushing schemes. The third-year defensive end touched on the “coaching vs. execution” debate that often rages among fans. “I don’t think we should go out of our game plan. Haz is calling great stuff, we’ve just got to execute more,” he said. “At the end of the day we’re the players. We’ve got to go out there, trust our technique. We’ve got to do what he’s telling us. He’s the coach. We play what he calls. If it’s not a good call we’re still supposed to make the play. It’s the NFL, that’s why we get paid money.”
3. One of the highlights against the Vikings (you know, before the game got ugly in the second half) was Pierre Garçon taking a short pass from Robert Griffin III and mowing his way through Vikings for 32 yards. Griffin admired Garçon’s style. “He’s a running back playing receiver. Everybody saw him truck that safety against Minnesota so he does some freakish things,” he said. “He’s got a really – I say it’s a good attitude, but he’s a tempered guy out there on the field and he plays that way at receiver which you don’t see very often. If you get the ball in his hands, he can do some damage with it.”
4. Mike Shanahan first said that before he would commit to having Nick Williams active on Sunday he would first have to see how he did in practice. However, when asked what Williams’ abilities might bring to the team, Shanahan slipped a bit, saying he wanted to see how Williams would do when he “knew” he would be playing. Here’s the full quote: “First of all, maybe some guys are just returners, some guys you want not only as a returner but as a wide receiver. We’ll see how he catches punts and kickoffs this week when he knows he’s going to be playing on Sunday afternoon. And you get a chance to see guys, when they are activated, how they practice and how they do things and that’s what we’ll try to do is make that evaluation and decide what gives us the best chance to win.”
5. Eagles QB Nick Foles is not concerned that his team has a 10-game losing streak at home. He’s not sure how to explain it. “I’m excited to play at home. We have previously had a rough time winning at home, but I’m excited to get back at home,” he said. I feel like we’ve done a good job on the road, but we really need to win one at home for our fans and I expect them to be out there ready to roll and cheer us on and we’re striving to get them a win at home.”
Stat of the day
—The game against the Vikings was the Redskins’ first one this season that they didn’t turn the ball over. They had six turnover-free games last year.
—Days until: Redskins @ Eagles 3; Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 11; Giants @ Redskins 17
—Today’s schedule: Player availability 11:15; Jim Haslett news conference 12:00; Practice 1:00; Mike Shanahan and Robert Griffin III news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00); news conferences streamed line on CSNwashington.com.
In case you missed it
- RG3: “I’ve been hit a bunch”
- 3 and Out: Redskins face a more familiar foe
- Maurice Hurt returns to practice
- “One game at a time”
- Nick Williams “elated” for opportunity
- Davis “not surprised” about losing incentive bonus
- Where are we? State of the Redskins, Week 11
- First look at Redskins-Eagles
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins draft board: Cornerback
- If your favorite draft prospect hasn't visited Redskins Park don't worry
- OPEN THREAD: Will Adrian Peterson end up with the Cowboys?
- 25 Redskins questions: More special teams improvement in 2015?
- NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson from suspension
- Report: Redskins to host USC's Leonard Williams
- More defense in the draft for the Redskins?
- OPEN THREAD: Do pre-draft visits really mater?
- CSN Ranks: Rich Tandler looks at the best Redskins passers
- 25 Redskins questions: What would a successful 2015 look like?