Nov 12, 2013, 5:26 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, November 12, five days before the Washington Redskins play the Philadelphia Eagles.
Here are five pivotal moments from the Redskins’ first nine games:
1. Alfred Morris fumbled on his first carry in the opener against the Eagles and Philly recovered. In all of 2012 he fumbled just four times and lost two. This play instantly gave the feeling that things would be different in 2012 and not in a good way.
2. In the same game, Robert Griffin III threw a pass into a crowd of three defenders and it was picked off. Griffin threw five interceptions in 2012 but none of them had everyone saying, what the heck was he thinking? It compounded the different-not-better feeling everyone got from the Morris fumble.
3. With the Redskins trailing the Lions 20-17 in the fourth quarter, Griffin hit Aldrick Robinson with a perfect bomb to the end zone that was at first called a 57-yard touchdown pass. But replay revealed that Robinson didn’t maintain control of the ball when he went to the ground. Instead of having the lead, the Redskins remained behind and couldn’t rally again.
4. Midway through the fourth quarter against the Raiders, the Redskins were clinging to a 17-14 lead against the Raiders and Oakland had the ball near midfield. Ryan Kerrigan sacked Matt Flynn and stripped the ball away. Barry Cofield recovered the fumble and two plays later the Redskins had stretched their lead to 10 to put away their first win of the year.
5. The Chargers trailed the Redskins by three in the last minute but they had a first and goal at the one. With a little help from some curious play calling, the Chargers got no further and had to settle for game-tying field goal. The Redskins took the overtime kickoff and drove to the winning touchdown.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins have outgained their opponents by almost 200 yards, 3,694 to 3,497. However, they have been outscored by 57 points, 287-230.
—Days until: Redskins @ Eagles 5; Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 15; Giants @ Redskins 19
—Today’s schedule: No availability, day off
In case you missed it
- Nick Williams to be promoted to active roster
- Redskins face an improved Foles
- Hall: Stopping Eagles is “a big task”
- Griffin now .500 in game-winning opportunities
- Who will fill the Redskins’ open roster spot?
- Five Redskins who need to step up
What’s the difference between this year’s 3-6 situation and last year’s?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Wait...what happened to Doug Williams before Super Bowl XXII?
- Doug Williams talks about the first color TV he ever saw
- DeSean Jackson wonders how he'll be welcomed in Philly
- Gruden feels 'pretty good' about Jackson's chances of playing vs. Eagles
- Stats you don't know, but should from Redskins week 2 win
- Fair to compare Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins? Jay Gruden tries (VIDEO)
- Cousins gets another--perhaps better--opportunity with the Redskins
- Redskins' Gruden: Eagles' release of Jackon a 'curious move'
- Cousins: 'You’re going to have turnovers'
- DeSean Jackson knows what his decision will be vs Eagles