Nov 6, 2013, 5:28 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, November 6, one day before the Washington Redskins visit the Minnesota Vikings.
Five notes and quotes from the Redskins locker room:
1. David Amerson may have saved the Redskins season by knocking running back David Woodhead out of bounds just short of the goal line late in Sunday’s game against the Chargers. But being a hero did not cross his mind at the time. “I wasn’t thinking about trying to save the game or whatever,” said the rookie cornerback. “I just, I can’t let him get in this end zone. I’m going to do everything in my power to keep him out. That was my mentality.”
2. The Redskins gained some nice yardage with a few new offensive wrinkles including a couple of 18-yard runs out of the triple option. Robert Griffin III says that the benefit of such plays can go beyond the immediate yardages picked up. “I think it can be a little confusing for a defense,” he said. Nothing that such plays can “mess up guys’ keys”, Griffin said that you might just need one big play. “All you need is a few, a couple of big plays every game to kind of help you establish yourself and get into a rhythm as an offense,” he said.
3. The Redskins have done a pretty good job of containing Adrian Peterson over the years. He has played in four games against them, including one in 2007 before the current coaching staff was in place. He has 180 yards on 44 carries, an average of 45 yards per game and 4.1 per carry. Both averages are well under his career numbers of 98 yards a game and 5.0 per carry. They do need to watch for him catching some passes out of the backfield, however. He has 12 receptions for 119 yards against Washington.
4. On Tuesday the Redskins practiced in the bubble wearing no pads or helmets. With the short week the focus now in more on film work and other such preparation rather than going through physical reps. “A lot of it right now is mental preparation—watching a lot of film over the next 48-plus hours,” said Mike Shanahan. “It’s not really physical coming off of that game we just had, especially going into overtime. You take all those factors into consideration in a short week.”
5. NFL players have tremendous focus, often to the point where they don’t know things that most fans and media members just assume they know. After Sunday’s game, Griffin knew the Redskins were playing the Vikings next but he didn’t know who they played the week after that (it’s the Eagles). And when asked about the possibility of a letdown against a 1-7 Vikings team, Brandon Meriweather replied: “Honestly, I didn’t know even know their record. I try to take it one game at a time. We was 3-6 last year and made the playoffs, you really can’t overlook anybody in this league.”
Stat of the day
—With a win tomorrow night the Redskins will improve to 4-5. Their playoff chances will get better but, historically, they will still be a long shot. Since 1990, 14 out of the 122 teams to start 4-5 made the playoffs (11.5%).
—Days until: Redskins @ Vikings 1; Redskins @ Eagles 11; Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 19
—Today’s schedule: Practice 10:30; Player availability, Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, and Jim Haslett news conference after practice (approx. 12:00)
In case you missed it
- Fletcher speaks out on Dolphins hazing
- RG3 says third-down conversions the key
- Unlike Revis, Hall values wins over money
- State of the Redskins after eight games
- Redskins faced 1,000 to 1 odds vs. Chargers
- Third down call made for close call for Redskins
- First look at Redskins-Vikings
“How could we overlook them when we’re not that good?”
Follow Us On Twitter
- Skins' hopeful rallies team with pre-game speech (VIDEO)
- Thompson hopes he did enough earn a spot on Redskins (VIDEO)
- Redd: 'The game's starting to slow down' (VIDEO)
- Redskins' kicking battle goes down to the wire
- Akeem Davis: From graduate assistant to Redskins hopeful
- RG3: 'Fixed what we needed to fix in practice' (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Gruden happy about quarterback depth
- VIDEO: Gruden discusses crowded Redskins backfield
- VIDEO: Seastrunk says mom correctly predicted TD Thursday
- Running backs battle in Redskins' 24-10 win over Bucs