Nov 5, 2013, 5:22 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, November 5, two days before the Washington Redskins visit the Minnesota Vikings.
Five things you need to know about the Redskins-Vikings matchup:
1. Quick, who has rushed for more yards this season, Adrian Peterson or Alfred Morris? OK, trick question, it’s Peterson but not by much. The Redskins’ back that everyone thinks is having an off year due to being underutilized has gained 686 yards on 133 carries, a 5.2-yard average per carry. Peterson has 20 more carries and has 711 yards, just 25 more than Morris. That comes to a 4.6-yard average for Peterson. LeSean McCoy of the Eagles leads the NFL with 777 yards but he and the other two runners with more yards than Peterson and Morris, Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles, have not yet had their bye weeks. Peterson and Morris have.
2. The Vikings’ QB carousel has swung back to where it started the year. Christian Ponder is likely to start against the Redskins, having survived two attempts to unseat him as the starter. Matt Cassel got a couple of starts and the Vikings’ only win. After Cassel suffered an injury they gave the ball to Josh Freeman, who had been picked up just a couple of weeks before he started against the Giants. He was awful and now it’s back to Ponder. He got a less than ringing endorsement from head coach Leslie Frazier after the loss to the Cowboys. “As we speak, I don’t see why we would make a change,” Frazier said, via the Pioneer Press and Pro Football Talk. “Sometimes after ballgames you make emotional decisions, but I don’t see anything that tells me he shouldn’t start against the Redskins.”
3. The Vikings’ defense has been consistently bad. They rank 29th in yards allowed in 30th in points given up. They haven’t give up fewer than 23 points in any game and have yielded over 30 points five times. Defensive end Jared Allen is occupying just over $17 million in cap space and he has returned 4.5 sacks.
4. Neither team practiced on Monday but due to the game being just three days away they still had to file an injury report based on what the status of players would have been if they had practiced. Eight Vikings would have been held out of practice including starters DT Letroy Guion (chest/knee), OT Phil Loadholt (concussion), S Jamarca Sanford (groin), and TE Kyle Rudolph (foot). It is certain that Rudolph will not play; he suffered a fractured foot against the Cowboys and is expected to miss a month. In addition starters CB Chris Cook (hip) and CB Josh Robinson (chest) were hypothetically limited.
5. Rudolph is the Vikings’ second-leading receiver with 30, one behind Greg Jennings. Rookie Cordarelle Patterson has made a splash returning kickoffs with two touchdowns but he has yet to make much of an impact as a receiver with 16 catches for 146 yards.
Stat of the day
—According to Pro Football Focus, the Redskins had no dropped passes against the Chargers and missed just six tackles.
—Days until: Redskins @ Vikings 2; Redskins @ Eagles 12; Monday night 49ers @ Redskins 20
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:05; Player availability, Robert Griffin III and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 1:15).
In case you missed it
- Players react to verdict in Taylor case
- Shanahan says blocked kicks were too low
- Redskins employ new wrinkles in offense
- Guilty verdict in Taylor trial
- Snap counts vs. Chargers
- Monday six pack: Amerson makes big plays
- Defensive stand delivers hope
- Redskins allow no sacks vs. Chargers
Shanahan talks about “hectic” short week
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins Nation airs throwback interview for Sean Taylor's birthday
- Another top quarterback prospect won't attend NFL Draft
- Gruden wants Redskins to be stronger and in better 'football shape'
- Draft chatter: Redskins-Rams hypothetical trade a fair one
- The Redskins have spent a ton of draft resources on quarterbacks
- 25 Redskins questions: Who replaces Orakpo?
- OPEN THREAD: How much can Redskins get in trade for No. 5 pick?
- Backup running back by committee for the Redskins?
- Knighton's decision to bet on himself impressed Redskins
- Comments of the Week: Who said what about RG3?