Oct 29, 2013, 6:23 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, October 29, five days before the Washington Redskins host the San Diego Chargers.
Five items from Mike Shanahan’s Monday news conference:
1. Did the lack of offseason reps hurt Robert Griffin III’s game this year? It seems pretty obvious that an offseason spent rehabbing rather than honing his game is pretty high up on the list of reasons why he has been so inconsistent this year. You would expect a coach who preaches the importance of the offseason program to at least partially acknowledge this as Shanahan did. “Everything is a growing experience,” he said when asked if missing the offseason was a factor. “The more reps you get the better off you do get and we all understand that.”
2. NFL teams like to take it one game at a time but the advent of the weekly Thursday night game has changed that. Shanahan said today that although no preparation for the game in Minnesota four days after the Chargers game on the part of the players, the coaching staff would start to formulate a Vikings game plan before Sunday. “From a coaching standpoint; you’re going to work a little bit harder on Friday and Saturday in preparation for that game,” he said. “A lot of times you don’t work on another team in advance but on a Thursday game, a number of times you do. Usually it’s the day before when your game plan is already done for your upcoming opponent.”
3. Although he said that he was going to get more hands on with special teams, Shanahan did not personally address Sav Rocca’s shanked punt that game the Broncos a short field in the fourth quarter of a tie game. “He didn’t have to tell me anything. I didn’t ask him anything,” he said. “I haven’t seen him do that since he’s been here and that’s quite unusual. I’m sure he was trying to directional kick a little bit out of bounds and it just came off the side of his foot. Those things do happen.”
4. Are the Redskins close to playing a full 60-minute game?
“That’s what we’re working for, to get that game. We’ve done it in spots. We haven’t done a complete game, which is frustrating. That’s what we’re working for, but we’ve got guys that will work. We’ve got guys that are showing up, giving us everything they’ve got and when you look at film and you do see that. So we’ve got to eliminate some of those mistakes and hopefully we put that together this weekend.”
5. Shanahan was asked about players who were injured at various times during the Denver game who were not named Robert Griffin III. Here’s what he said: “We’ve got a few guys beat up but I don’t want to talk about any injuries until Wednesday because they’ll go through treatment and a little rehab and see on Wednesday if anybody’s out,” Translation: “I don’t have to put out an injury report until Wednesday afternoon and I’m not giving out any information before I have to.”
Stat of the day
—The Chargers are last in the NFL with four takeaways on the season. DeAngelo Hall of the Redskins has four takeaways himself with three interceptions and a fumble recovery.
—Days until: Chargers @ Redskins 5; Redskins @ Vikings 9; Redskins @ Eagles 19
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
In case you missed it
- Snyder to meet with Goodell in New York regarding name issue
- Shanahan: Griffin’s knee is sore but he should be fine
- Morris not complaining about a lack of carries
- Monday six pack: How big an issue was the play calling?
- Meriweather fires back at Brandon Marshall
- Redskins-Broncos Pulse report
- Garçon vents about struggling passing game
- Morris’ workload getting lighter
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins position preview: Cornerback
- Redskins will benefit the least from Richardson, McClain and Hardy suspensions
- Even after free agency, Redskins Super Bowl odds still get worse
- Is play action a cure for Redskins' and RG3's problems?
- Ryan Kerrigan gives update on knee after surgery
- Redskins preseason Q&A: Which rookie will have the most impact?
- Redskins position preview: Quarterback
- Is DeSean Jackson's new reality show a distraction?
- NBA free agency causes Redskins safety to speak up
- Why did the Redskins struggle on third down in 2014?