Oct 25, 2013, 7:49 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, October 25, two days before the Washington Redskins travel to Denver to play the Broncos.
It goes without saying that players like Robert Griffin III, Pierre Garçon, Alfred Morris, Brian Orakpo, and Ryan Kerrigan will have to play well for the Redskins to beat the Broncos on Sunday. But they probably will need more than that. They will need someone unexpected, an X factor, to come up with some big plays if they’re going to have a shot.
How about Aldrick Robinson? He’s probably not a secret to the Broncos any more after he caught two passes for 75 yards on Sunday including a 45-yard touchdown bomb from Griffin. It was one of those plays that was easy since he was uncontested as the ball fell into his arms but still difficult because he had to track the ball after safety Chris Conte collided with him and fell to the ground and cornerback Charles Tillman just missed a leaping attempt to knock the ball down.
“We’ve got a lot of belief in Aldrick, and he does have some big play capabilities,” said Mike Shanahan. “We need to get him in the ball game a little bit more.”
Robinson also caught a Griffin pass and zipped down the right sideline for 30 yards. He touched the ball one other time but it did not work out as well as the receptions. Griffin gave him the ball on an end around but end David Bass sniffed out the play and nailed Robinson for a loss of 11 yards.
But maybe he can get to the outside on one of those runs and turn on his speed for a big run. And perhaps Griffin and Morris can freeze a safety with a play action fake for just long enough to let Robinson break free for a long pass. It could give the Redskins just the lift they need to hang with Peyton Manning and the Broncos.
—Days until: Redskins @ Broncos 2; Chargers @ Redskins 9; Redskins @ Vikings 13
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:15)
In case you missed it
- Where do the Redskins stand with Davis?
- Hankerson returns to practice
- Holliday poses a big threat
- Will Manning be 100 percent?
- Redskins answer TDs with TDs
Tandler on keys to the Broncos game
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Gruden "will not hesitate one bit" to turn to Ryan Grant if needed
- Goodell to hold press conference at 3 p.m. on NFL's recent issues
- ICYMI: Stuff that happened besides baseball
- Pros, cons, and X factors--Redskins at Eagles game prediction
- OPEN THREAD: Will Ryan Grant produce vs Eagles?
- Week 3 Power Rankings: Does Buffalo belong in the top 10?
- Gruden gets Cousins' head spinning
- Jackson, Reed did not practice Thursday
- Haslett on Rambo: 'We gave him every opportunity'
- Redskins preparing for Eagles' versatile offense (VIDEO)