Oct 23, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, October 24, three days before the Washington Redskins travel to Denver to play the Broncos.
Responding in kind
The Redskins gave up a lot of points last Sunday against the Bears. Chicago put up five touchdowns.
But, for the first time this year, the Redskins had an answer when the other team scored. On each of the five possessions after the Bears’ touchdowns the Redskins posted one of their own.
That’s right. Five for five in responding to seven points with seven points.
“What you want to be able to do is put the ball in the end zone, and that’s what we were able to do,” said Mike Shanahan. “We scored some touchdowns instead of field goals. We haven’t been able to do that consistently early in the season. We want to be able to get some drives going where we’ve got that continuity going.”
They haven’t consistently been able to respond to the other team’s touchdowns either. Here is a look at the previous opponents, the number of touchdowns they scored and the number of times the Redskins responded with a touchdown on their ensuing possession:
So in five previous games the Redskins had given up 18 touchdowns and had responded with TD’s of their own just twice. And the two responses in the Packers game came when the Redskins faced second-half deficits of 31-0 and 38-7. So they had not had a meaningful response to a touchdown all year.
That changed against the Bears. It goes without saying that they will have to keep up that pattern if they want to hang with the Broncos on Sunday.
—Days until: Redskins @ Broncos 3; Chargers @ Redskins 10; Redskins @ Vikings 14
—Today’s schedule: Player availability 11:15; Jim Haslett news conference 12:00; Practice 1:00 (media can observe for first 30 minutes); Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practices after practice (approx. 3:15) streamed live on CSNwashington.com
Follow Us On Twitter
- Don't look for Redskins to repeat 'over the top' defense
- Second Hall injury leaves future with Skins in question
- OPEN THREAD: Run game key for RG3 to succeed
- Report: DeAngelo Hall re-injures Achilles, needs surgery
- Redskins Park observations--Hankerson's status still up in the air
- Gruden and Vikings coach Mike Zimmer go way back
- RG3 is preparing to start vs. Vikings, Rob Carlin reports
- Ex-Eagle Westbrook says Philly misses D. Jackson badly
- Gruden on RG3 'He's at a hundred percent physically'
- Fantasy Fix - Week 9 rankings: Manning or Brady? Brady or Manning?