Oct 22, 2013, 5:54 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, October 22, five days before the Washington Redskins travel to Denver to play the Broncos.
Five notes and quotes from Mike Shanahan’s Monday news conference:
1. Shanahan’s press conference took place a few hours before the NFL announced that Brandon Meriweather would be suspended for two games. He said the following when asked if Meriweather was being coached to avoid helmet-to-helmet hits where they are illegal:
“Well, I think he knows exactly what he has to do and sometimes there’s no intent there. Sometimes you hit a guy a little bit higher than anticipated. Even on the last one, he came to the sideline and said, ‘Hey, the one guy told me it was a good hit and the other official told me that he saw it differently.’ There are a lot of different interpretations of it. At the end of the day, we’ll find out.”
2. Stephen Bowen was diagnosed with a knee injury. “It’s a PCL tear,” said Shanahan. “Right now, he’s sore. [We will] probably know more [in] the next couple of days.” Bowen played through the same injury on his other knee during the 2011 season. The defensive end tweeted the following on Monday evening:
Letting everyone know I am not out for the season just gonna have some hard core rehab. We have some more games to win. #HTTR
— Stephen Bowen (@stevebo72) October 21, 2013
3. It was noted here yesterday that the success that Robert Griffin III had running the ball on Sunday helped out the rest of the offense. Shanahan agreed with that take. “I think the threat of the run is very important,” he said. “Any time the defense is afraid you may run the football, they have to cover the whole field and all the aspects of your game. I think anybody that has a threat of running the ball, you never know who they’re going to take away.”
4. Why doesn’t Aldrick Robinson, who caught two passes, one for 30 yards and another for 45 and a touchdown, get on the field more? He’s an X receiver and that’s Pierre Garçon’s spot. “We’ve got a lot of belief in Aldrick, and he does have some big play capabilities,” said Shanahan. “We need to get him in the ball game a little bit more. [wide receiver] Pierre [Garcon] has been playing well, so you don’t want to take Pierre out of the game too often, but you do want to give him opportunities to make some plays like he did [in the Bears game].”
5. I pointed out to Shanahan that the Redskins averaged 11.5 yards a play in the no-huddle offense. He said that if it continues to work that well they might have to use it more often.
“Our football team is in pretty good shape. We’ve got a fast and quick football team and it helps us when we do kind of change the tempo of the game. We might try to tire out the defense or we may call plays at the line of scrimmage. Just because you hurry up to the line of scrimmage doesn’t always make it a hurry-up offense. A lot of people huddle on the line of scrimmage and they take their time and call out audibles and check defenses out. Other teams will try to go a little bit quicker. We’ll change it up there, but it is a high-tempo offense for us and we do it to keep defenses a little bit off-balance and fortunately it has worked.”
Stat of the day
—The Broncos are averaging 42.6 points per game. They are on pace to score 681 points for the season. The NFL record for points scored in a season is 589 by the 2007 Patriots.
—Days until: Redskins @ Broncos 5; Chargers @ Redskins 12; Redskins @ Vikings 16
—Today’s schedule: No availability, off day.
In case you missed it
- Meriweather suspended two games
- Report: Redskins looking to deal Davis
- Shanahan news conference update
- Redskins snap counts vs. Bears
- Monday six pack: Turbo offense very effective
- After an anxious wait, RG3 returns to old form
- Redskins regaining that 2012 feeling
Why the Redskins drafted Jordan Reed
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins have just enough salary cap space to get through the season
- Why giving up social media is a good move for RG3
- Could Trent Williams hurt the Redskins by playing?
- Kerrigan on Eagles and Cowboys: 'We have a chance to be spoiler'
- DeSean Jackson on McCoy's impression, his health
- Week 16 rankings: Should fantasy owners trust RG3?
- Starters Jason Hatcher and Brandon Meriweather miss practice
- Gruden wants Griffin to make 'great' decisions
- 'Opportunistic' Eagles earning maximum returns
- Gruden won't experiment with younger players