Oct 18, 2013, 5:23 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, October 18, two days before the Washington Redskins play the Chicago Bears at FedEx Field.
Five things from Redskins Park
1. As noted here a couple of days ago the Bears have four legitimate pass-catching threats in Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte. It would be very good for the Redskins to have their nickel cornerback available for the game. David Amerson practiced on a limited basis on Thursday with no contact. According to Mike Shanahan he passed his tests and as long as he continues to do so he should be good to go on Sunday.
2. Sunday will be just a few days shy of the three-year anniversary of DeAngelo Hall’s four-pick performance against Jay Cutler in Chicago. All four picks came in the second half. His second interception was the biggest; he jumped in front of a Culter pass intended for Johnny Knox when the Bears were in the red zone and threatening to break the game open. Hall rolled 92 yards up the sideline to give the Redskins a 17-14 lead. That turned out to be the final score as Hall helped preserve the win with two more interceptions in the fourth quarter.
3. Of course, this is hardly a rematch of that game; only a handful of players who were around then are still with the respective teams. My friend @ZacBoyer tweeted out a reminder that Donovan McNabb was the QB, Ryan Torain the leading rusher and Rocky McIntosh the leading tackler.
4. Mike Shanahan believes that the Redskins’ opponents will now play them differently now that Robert Griffin III has demonstrated that the can do some serious damage running the ball. “I think everybody will approach Robert differently, but you’ve got to get ready for a quarterback that has the ability to run and pass,” he said. “There’s no question about that. I think everybody could see that he made a couple of plays with his legs, so he is able to make plays where you couldn’t really see that in the first four games.”
5. Kyle Shanahan is not at all fazed by Griffin saying that he wants to “be the playmaker I can be.” “That’s usually what I start off saying to him before every game, ‘Just make sure you go out there and be you and have fun,’” said Shanahan. “During the week it’s about fundamentals, execution, your technique, trying to get a guy better, but when you get to game day, it’s about playing. You’ve got to let it loose and go out there and just react and see what happens and when you make mistakes you’ve got to get it corrected that week in practice.”
Stat of the day
—The Bears defense this year already has scored four touchdowns. They also have 11 pick sixes since 2012. That’s by far the most of any team in that period, next best team has six. (h/t @HogsHaven)
—Days until: Bears @ Redskins 2; Redskins @ Broncos 9; Chargers @ Redskins 16
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Player availability and Mike Shanahan news conference after practice (approx. 1:15)
In case you missed it
- Cutler says Hall is “another player”
- Haslett wants more takeaways
- Cowboys LB fined for hit on Amerson
- Trestman thinks Griffin is as good as ever
- Haslett praises D-Hall but wants more consistency
- Griffin happy to take hits in exchange for flags
- State of the Redskins after five games
- Special teams still adjusting
Follow Us On Twitter
- Andre Roberts "elated" to join the Redskins
- DE Smith, CB Graham set to visit Redskins
- Change coming on Redskins O-line with Lauvao signing
- Cowboys say so long to DeMarcus Ware
- Linebacker Adam Hayward agrees with Skins
- Redskins add more weapons for RG3
- Redskins sign Browns G Shawn Lauvao
- Free agent suprise: Santana Moss back with Redskins
- Riley signing a plus for Redskins' defense
- Source: Redskins near deal with WR Andre Roberts