Oct 17, 2013, 5:20 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, October 17, three days before the Washington Redskins play the Chicago Bears at FedEx Field.
Five things from Redskins Park
1. As one might expect, special teams were a big topic of discussion on Wednesday at Redskins Park. Here is what two core special teams players had to say about the situation. First, this from Niles Paul; you’ll notice a theme in his remarks:
Keith Burns, he’s a different individual than Danny. Everybody here loved Danny. Having Danny here was very beneficial to everybody. Keith is a different guy with a different scheme and everybody has to get used to that and believe in the coaches. At the end of the day, we just have to make plays. That’s what Danny allowed us to do last year was go out and make plays. It was a simple as that and that’s what we’re missing this year. We just have to go out there and make plays. You need five or six guys rallying to the ball instead of one or two making the tackle.
2. Reed Doughty had similar thoughts when it came to making plays but he was not inclined to place much of the reason for the special teams issues on the change in coaches:
[The scheme is] definitely a little bit different. But at the end of the day we get paid to go out on Sunday and make plays. Whether it’s because of the system or in spite of the system, what ever your feelings are, it really doesn’t matter. It’s still a reflection of us if they scored a touchdown on Sunday and had another big return.
3. Pierre Garçon was asked about how much pressure Robert Griffin III is putting himself under:
You always want to put pressure on yourself as a football player because you never want to think that you’ve arrived. I put pressure on myself, he puts pressure on himself. But this year is different from last year. As you get older in this league you have to be able to adjust and keep your head in the game. We’re just finding out game . . . I don’t think he’s putting too much pressure on himself.
4. And here is Robert Griffin III talking about the pressure that Robert Griffin III faces:
“There’s just an expectation. Whenever you play the way we played as an offense in general – not just myself – moving the ball, making big plays, putting points on the board, whenever you play like that and you come back the next year and you don’t play like that and your quarterback has a significant knee injury in the offseason, the scrutiny is going to be there. But I think for a lot of guys in this locker room, nothing has ever been easy for us as far as in life. It’s never been given to us. Some guys in this league get a break and some guys don’t. With all the scrutiny going on with our team as far as the name, my knee injury, the way we started the season – all that stuff can pile up.
5. Mike Shanahan talking about how, well, stuff happens:
We missed a handoff on a draw. That’s what happened. Sometimes those things do occur . . . Robert went a little further back than he should have. Those things, sometimes we fake a little bit of a pass and sometimes the timing is not perfect, but we have been doing a pretty good job on that. That was one of those times we didn’t do a good job.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins average 5.3 yards per rushing attempt, second in the NFL. The league average is 4.1 yards per attempt.
—Days until: Bears @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Broncos 10; Chargers @ Redskins 17
—Today’s schedule: Player availability 11:15; Jim Haslett news conference 12:00; Practice 1:00 (open to media for first 30 minutes); Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00), available streaming on CSNwashington.com.
In case you missed it
- Redskins can’t look down the road
- Amerson, Neild limited in practice
- Nelson “thankful” for opportunity
- Don’t look for any major shakeups with the Redskins
- First look at Redskins-Bears
Tandler on Redskins Nation
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' revamped O-line is making strides
- Will Thompson remain in the mix for the Redskins?
- What will the Redskins do with four starters out?
- Reed, Culliver among several starters out vs. Falcons
- Kirk's next challenge: Starting a winning streak
- Jarrett looking like a draft steal for the Redskins
- Baylor RG3 statue vandalized
- Jordan Reed remains in concussion protocol system
- Fantasy Fix: Todd Gurley running hot in Week 5 rankings
- Redskins are lost away from home