Oct 13, 2013, 6:35 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, October 13, the day the Washington Redskins take on the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night football.
A key five games stretch
Redskins fans had better hope that their team got its rest over their bye week. After having played just one game in the last 20 days the Redskins now play five games in the coming 25 days. That stretch ends November 7 and by then we will have a pretty good idea if the Redskins will be playing meaningful football in December.
It starts tonight in Dallas (2-3) and there is a chance for the team to get its first signature win of the year. Next the Bears (4-2) come to FedEx Field and they will be well rested after they stopped a two-game losing skid on Thursday with a win over the Giants.
On October 27 there is the toughest game on the entire schedule, when Peyton Manning and the Broncos (5-0) host the Washington. Then it’s back home to face the Chargers (2-3) followed by a quick turnaround to a Thursday night game in Minnesota (1-3).
These five games will take the Redskins up to the nine-game point in the season. That, of course, is the point where in 2012 Washington was 3-6 and wondering about its future. That turned out to be a seven-game winning streak the close the season and take the NFC East title.
But, to a man, the players don’t want to be in that position again. To avoid that situation they will have to win at least three of these coming five games. Going 3-2 between now and November 7 will put the Redskins at 4-5, probably in pretty good shape in the weak NFC East.
A 2-3 stretch here puts them right where they were a year ago at 3-6. At that point in 2012 they were three games behind the division-leading Giants. At 3-6 this year they probably wouldn’t be that far out of the lead but, again, nobody on the team wants to have climb out of that hole for a second straight year.
If they win tonight they only have to go 2-2 in the following four games to set themselves up for the stretch and 4-1 in the five-game stretch looks like a realistic possibility. A loss means they have to win three out of four to get themselves in position for a run.
It’s always good for the Redskins to beat Dallas but tonight it’s extra important.
In case you missed it
- Grading the Redskins: Special teams
- Grading the Redskins: Wide receivers-tight ends
- The road ahead for the Redskins
- Paulsen unsure of his status
- Morris, Forbath expect to play in Dallas
- Jordan Reed’s development is ahead of schedule
- An impossible task for the Redskins in Dallas?
- The Redskins get back to work
- Hall: Cowboys game is “going to be a battle”
- Rob Jackson eager to contribute
- NFL approves funds for FedEx Field upgrades
- Redskins are getting healthier
- 3 and Out: Must-win vs. Cowboys?
- Redskins looking healthy
- RG3 feeling great
- Morris says he’s good to go vs. Cowboys
- State of the Redskins, Week 5
- Fan questions: How do you stop the Cowboys?
- Is Garçon as good as Bryant?
- Kyle says RG3 has “progressed”
- Amerson ready for Dallas
- Roles for returning players unclear
- Redskins must limit Romo, Bryant
- RG3: Early play “not up to my standards”
- Redskins wary of Romo’s scrambling
- Prediction: Could Reed help spring an upset?
- Point-Counterpoint: Will the Redskins make the playoffs?
- Injury report: Morris, Reed probable
- Game preview: Stopping the Dallas air attack
- Griffin under the microscope
- Haslett: If you can’t stop the run “it’s a long day”
- Doughty helps boost Redskins defense
- Garcon on record pace
Follow Us On Twitter
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown