Oct 10, 2013, 5:23 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, October 10, three days before the Redskins visit the Cowboys on Sunday night.
Five things from yesterday at Redskins Park:
1. We have a couple of takes on the elusive Tony Romo here. The first is from Rob Jackson.
Once you beat the guy in front of you, you’ve still got to bring Tony Romo down. That’s one of his upsides, he’s so difficult to tackle. … He has great instincts, he seems to know where you are without looking at you.
2. The other one is from nose tackle Barry Cofield:
His pocket presence and his willingness to extend the play is his biggest attribute. A lot of quarterbacks want to get rid of the ball, they want to get that pressure off of them. They throw it out of bounds they feel like they’ve done their job. His willingness to extend plays, his ability to make those throws from any type of body position and the trust he has in his receivers make him tough.
3. Another one from Cofield on the team’s state of mind:
I think this team is confident despite the way we’ve started. I think we have a lot of confidence in general. People trust the plan that we have, I think that’s the biggest thing. We have a lot of faith in our coaches, we have a lot of faith in our front office. We love our locker room we feel like we have a lot of high-character guys who we can rely on. Whenever you have that type of mindset, that type of trust and faith, you’re very reluctant to crumble and you’re very reluctant to lost confidence.
4. The Cowboys switched from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 this season. Here’s Mike Shanahan on studying film on a defense that has many of the same personnel but a drastically different scheme.
Sometimes when you go back and you look at games last year with a different scheme, it’s about personnel, studying someone from last year – might be a defensive end, linebacker, secondary – not as much scheme. [You] see if somebody has changed within the last year or how they’re playing, but not from a strategy standpoint.
5. And Robert Griffin III admitting what we already knew, that there was some rust for that opening game against the Eagles.
“You come out and the way we played – the way I played that first game – that was not up to my standards or up to our standards as a team in general. That was disappointing. When it comes to timing here, timing there, sometimes you might be a little bit off coming back from an injury like I had, and you have to work through those growing pains, but we didn’t think it was going to be what it ended up being those first couple of games, so that’s no excuse at all. You just have got to move on from that and try to be better – or be better.”
Stat of the day
—Since the divisions realigned in 2002 the 11 Cowboys-Redskins games in Dallas have been decided by an average of five points.
—Days until: Redskins @ Cowboys 4; Bears @ Redskins 11; Redskins @ Broncos 18
—Today’s schedule: Player availability 11:15; Jim Haslett news conference 12:00; Practice 1:00 (open to media for first 30 minutes); After practice (approx. 3:00) news conferences from Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan.
Young: We can’t look past anything
In case you missed it
- 3 and Out: Must-win vs. Cowboys?
- Redskins looking healthy
- RG3 feeling great
- Morris says he’s good to go vs. Cowboys
- State of the Redskins, Week 5
- Fan questions: How do you stop the Cowboys?
- Is Garçon as good as Bryant?
Follow Us On Twitter
- McCloughan would like Redskins to have 10 or more draft picks
- Phones are open, but few calls for Kirk Cousins
- McCloughan on if RG3's option affects chances of drafting Mariota
- McCloughan compares Redskins roster to 49ers when he took over
- Redskins GM McCloughan hopes to trade for more draft picks
- Redskins, McCloughan make decision on RG3's future
- Report: Mariota likely to be gone before Redskins pick
- Redskins leaning toward committing to RG3 in 2016
- NFL Mock Draft 8.0: Move up, move down, or stay at 5 for Redskins?
- Can the Redskins draft an immediate starter on the O-line?