Oct 4, 2013, 5:31 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, October 4, nine days before the Redskins visit the Cowboys on Sunday night.
Since the Redskins news, the staple for this space, has crawled to a stop we’re doing something a little different here. Yesterday we looked at the five most valuable Redskins. Today, we look at five who need to step it up. Let’s count them down:
5. Stephen Bowen—He has not performed horribly but a player who has one of the top 10 salary cap numbers on the team should be having more of an impact. Bowen’s stats (10 tackles, no sacks) are identical to those of Kedric Golston, who makes far less.
4. Josh Morgan—Another high salary (5th-highest cap number) who needs to pick up his production. He has just nine receptions and it’s not like Robert Griffin III hasn’t thrown the ball a ton.
3. Robert Griffin III—Yes, he was on the list of most valuable yesterday but he still has a long way to go if this team is going to be what we thought it could be.
2. Brandon Meriweather—Where is that player we saw for a half against the Eagles last year? He hasn’t been nearly as aggressive (unless you count knocking Eddie Lacy and himself out of the Packers game) or confident since then. Certainly the ACL recovery has slowed him down but the sooner he can get himself back to, well, himself the better off the defense will be.
1. London Fletcher—The leadership, of course, has not diminished and he seems to be able to get where he needs to be. But the number of missed tackles has simply been unacceptable. When you have a defense designed to funnel plays to the inside linebackers so that they can make plays and one of them is having problems tackling the whole defense struggles.
Stat of the day
—In four games this year, the Redskins have a point differential of minus-21 (-5.2/game, 91 scored, 112 allowed), 26th in the league. Last year in 16 games their differential was plus-48 (3.0/game 436 scored, 388 allowed), 12th in the NFL.
—Days until: Redskins @ Cowboys 9; Bears @ Redskins 16; Redskins @ Broncos 23
—The Redskins are on their bye, no availability this week.
Pierre Garçon talks to Brian Mitchell
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Why the Redskins might not want to trade down in the draft
- Rich Tandler talks RG3 as the starter on PFT Live
- NFL takes away draft pick from 2015 Redskins opponent
- McCloughan wants Johnson to bring Seattle's swagger to Skins
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Duke G Laken Tomlinson
- Who were the best players taken with the No. 5 pick in the NFL draft?
- OPEN THREAD: Does drug test impact Redskins interest in Randy Gregory?
- What positions are the Redskins unlikely to draft at No. 5?
- Redskins exec Doug Williams: 'Nobody has given up on [RG3]'
- Gruden: D-Hall may need to rely on experience, not athleticism