Oct 3, 2013, 5:31 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, October 3, 10 days before the Redskins visit the Cowboys on Sunday night.
A little something different during the bye since we’re lacking the usual newsy nuggets that go here—the top five most valuable Redskins so far this season. We’ll count them down 5-1 here:
5. Barry Cofield—Jim Haslett called him the best nose tackle in the business and less biased observers agree that he’s right up there. And if you don’t have a nose tackle, you don’t have much of a 3-4 defense.
4. Pierre Garçon—Garçon is on pace to shatter the Redskins’ season record for both receptions and yards but they probably won’t end up passing enough for him to continue that pace. But even if they don’t pass he’s still valuable since he’s a fierce run blocker.
3. Robert Griffin III—Yeah, I know that he’s having an off year. But QB is the most important position in any sport. And plays like the scramble and pass to Helu in the fourth quarter make me think that the best is yet to come and it’s coming soon.
2. Ryan Kerrigan—Five sacks and 12 pressures of the quarterback have helped out the defense immensely. Brian Orakpo owns a piece of this because we’re seeing what an experienced Kerrigan can do with a legit threat on the other side.
1. Trent Williams—He has the raw power to drive a big lineman like the Packers’ Johnny Jolly 12 yards downfield and the finesse to guess wrong on an opponent’s pass-rush move and still move back into position to protect the quarterback.
Stat of the day
—Per Pro Football Focus, the Redskins have dropped 14 of Griffin’s passes. Only the Rams’ Sam Bradford has had more of his passes dropped. That puts the Redskins on pace to have 56 drops this year; they had only 35 all of last year.
—Days until: Redskins @ Cowboys 10; Bears @ Redskins 17; Redskins @ Broncos 24
—The Redskins are on their bye, no availability this week.
3 and Out: Can the Redskins win the NFC East?
In case you missed it
- No-huddle got things going
- Redskins fantasy fix
- 3 and out: Can the Redskins still win the NFC East?
- Hankerson on pace for career year
- Jarvis Jenkins returns to practice
- Shanahan: “It’s time to get away”
Follow Us On Twitter
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley