Sep 29, 2013, 6:36 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, September 29, the day the Redskins visit the Raiders.
Redskins-Raiders quick hits
1. The Redskins still should be able to beat the Raiders even if Terrelle Pryor plays quarterback for Oakland. But having Pryor in the lineup takes away most, if not all, of the Redskins’ margin for error. If they commit the same types of mental mistakes they did against the Lions, they could well be going into the bye staring at 0-4.
2. I have never seen so much attention paid to eight snaps but I guess it is news if Iron Man London Fletcher sits out even a few snaps without being injured even if he is 38 years old. He took eight plays off against Detroit with Nick Barnett filling in for him. Mike Shanahan was asked bout it twice, Fletcher was asked about it as were Jim Haslett and Barnett himself.
3. Something tells me that Robert Griffin III isn’t going to learn how to slide properly any time soon. I’m not sure you want him to lead with the repaired knee, anyway. As long as he gets down without getting hurt or losing the ball it doesn’t have to look pretty. And it probably won’t.
4. Although he is listed as questionable, it would be surprising if Jordan Reed is active today. He didn’t look very good in the portion of practice that reporters could see on Friday and it seems likely that he will sit out a week after taking a helmet to his thigh against the Lions. It will be a big game for Fred Davis if he can play (questionable, ankle). After playing just 16 snaps against the Packers and missing last week’s game with that ankle, this could be Davis’ opportunity to make a case that he should get more playing time. A six-catch effort for 75 yards and a touchdown would do his stock a world of good.
5. It’s hard to see the Redskins all of a sudden busting out and playing a great game today although you never know. They played pretty well the game after they fell to 3-6 last year. They beat the Eagles 31-6, posting by far their largest margin of victory of the season. Griffin had just one incomplete pass and he posted a perfect quarterback rating. The Redskins’ defense sacked Nick Foles four times and picked him off twice. LeSean McCoy rushed for 45 yards on 15 carries before being knocked out of the game with a concussion. The Redskins will glad accept a similar result today.
In case you missed it
- Mental mistakes hurt Redskins’ chances
- Redskins self destruct vs. Lions
- RG3: Redskins made too many mistakes
- Coverage scheme fails to control Megatron
- Redskins try to keep Fletcher fresh
- Garçon doesn’t believe RG3 is healthy
- Snap counts: Hankerson a starter
- Forbath improving, hopes to kick in Oakland
- Six pack of Redskins-Lions observations
- Hall: We can’t live on what we did last year
- Pryor suffers concussion
- Shanahan defends Redskins’ play calling
- “Just a tough patch right now”
- Griffin still figuring out how to slide
- Tuesday Tweets: Is Jordan Reed the future?
- RG3: “We have to go out and take it”
- Reed held out of practice
- RG3 open to sliding advice from Harper
- Kerrigan says knee injury not serious
- Davis unsure of his status for Sunday
- Redskins in turmoil—one year ago
- Where are we? The Redskins after three games
- First look at Redskins vs. Raiders
- Quick passes a problem for Redskins
- Griffin says Redskins must be confident but not relaxed
- Barnett happy to spell Fletcher
- Forbath, Reed held out of practice
- Jordan Reed still hurting
- Redskin set to face Raiders on Sunday
- Rambo vows to keep fighting
- How close are the Redskins?
- Pryor cleared, could play vs. Redskins
- Reed, Forbath, Davis listed as questionable
- Game preview: Redskins desperately seeking a win
- A learning process for Amerson
- Kyle: “Other stuff” can move Redskins’ offense
- It’s “Just win, baby” for the Redskins
- Garçon is on pace for career year
- Another Iron Man milestone for Fletcher
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden wants Redskins to be stronger and in better 'football shape'
- Draft chatter: Redskins-Rams hypothetical trade a fair one
- The Redskins have spent a ton of draft resources on quarterbacks
- 25 Redskins questions: Who replaces Orakpo?
- OPEN THREAD: How much can Redskins get in trade for No. 5 pick?
- Backup running back by committee for the Redskins?
- Knighton's decision to bet on himself impressed Redskins
- Comments of the Week: Who said what about RG3?
- Lack of ties to current players helps Redskins GM make evaluations
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Penn State safety Adrian Amos