Sep 27, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT
It looks like the Raiders will be starting their 16th different quarterback since the start of the 2003 season when the take on the Redskins on Sunday.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reported via Twitter that Terrelle Pryor, Oakland’s starting quarterback for the first three games this season, is “unlikely to play” after suffering a concussion on Monday night. That means that backup Matt Flynn is likely to start against the Redskins.
Pryor had passed one level of concussion testing per the NFL’s protocol and he was able to practice on a limited basis on Thursday. But according to reports he has not yet been cleared for contact, a step that would be necessary for him to play on Sunday.
But it appears that even if he passes that test the Raiders will sit him, perhaps due to not feeling comfortable with starting an inexperienced QB who missed Wednesday’s practice and, as noted, was limited on Thursday.
If Pryor sits, Flynn will start his first game since the 2011 season finale. He was with the Packers then and since Green Bay had locked up home field for the playoffs Aaron Rodgers rested and Flynn started. It was an impressive performance as Flynn threw for 480 yards, a Packers record that Rodgers just tied against the Redskins, with six touchdowns and one interception.
That performance was supposed to vault him into a starting job somewhere in the NFL but in Seattle he lost out to Russell Wilson and after being traded to the Raiders this past offseason.
This is his sixth NFL season but his resume is quite thin. Flynn has 143 career pass attempts or four more than Robert Griffin III has thrown this season along.
At 0-3 the Redskins can’t afford to take anyone lightly. But they will be in serious trouble if they can’t beat a team quarterbacked by a journeyman backup who nobody really seems to want.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Orakpo injury becomes another big blow to Skins defense
- Gruden not ruling out RG3 this week
- Redskins' Gruden: Murphy must 'grow up very fast'
- Gruden on RG3's return: Robert has to be honest
- Gruden: McCoy will start for Redskins vs. Dallas if RG3 not ready
- For Redskins to match Peyton Manning numbers, go back to 1989
- Brian Orakpo apologizes to Redskins fans
- Fantasy Fix: Waiver wire not running on empty with Tre Mason
- Orakpo injury shuffles the Redskins' depth chart
- Brian Orakpo out for season after tearing pectoral muscle