Sep 26, 2013, 5:18 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, September 26, three days before the Redskins visit the Raiders.
Five things you need to know about from Redskins Park.
1. Bacarri Rambo isn’t necessarily happy about going from playing virtually every defensive snap the first two games of the season to playing none against the Lions. “It was very difficult,” he said. “But the coaches coach and I’m just going to go out there and play to the best of my ability.” It remains to be seen if Rambo’s demotion was a one-time thing or if he will ride the bench until he earns more playing time.
2. Barry Cofield, one of the best locker room quotes on the team, had a great perspective when he was asked about the Redskins “beating themselves”. He doesn’t like that terminology. “I think that we’re hurting ourselves,” said Cofield. I’m not going to sell the other teams short; they’re beating us, we’re losing.”
3. Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson is not one of those who thinks that the read option of the flavor of the month. “The read option I think is something that’s here to stay because it works,” he said on a conference call with Washington media. “All you have to do is catch the defense in the wrong defense and you have the potential for a big play . . . I think it’s good. I think it works.”
4. Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor talked to the Oakland media on Tuesday. Although he said that he had not yet passed the test necessary for him to be cleared to practice, the fact that he was talking with reporters was significant. Players who have concussion symptoms are not permitted to speak to the media so his session means that there is a pretty good chance he’ll play against the Redskins on Sunday.
5. The Redskins converted 46 percent of their third downs (6 of 13) against the Lions, a marked improvement over their first two games when they converted 24 percent (5 of 21). It helped that they had six or fewer yards to go on eight of their third downs.
Stat of the day
—Robert Griffin III attempted a career-high 50 passes against the Lions. Last year, on seven occasions he went two games in a row throwing 50 or fewer passes combined.
—Days until: Redskins @ Raiders 3; Redskins @ Cowboys 17; Bears @ Redskins 24
—Today’s schedule: Player availability 11:15, Jim Haslett news conference 12 noon; Practice 1:00 (media can observe first 30 minutes), Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00) streamed on RealRedskins.com
Tarik goes Three and Out
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class