Need to Know: First look at Redskins vs. Raiders

Sep 25, 2013, 5:22 AM EST

Pryor-vs-Broncos

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, September 25, four days before the Redskins visit the Raiders.

Nickel coverage

Five things you need to know about the Raiders as they get ready to play the Redskins.

1. It was good news, bad news at quarterback for Oakland in their 37-21 Monday night loss to the Broncos. Terrelle Pryor had a solid night and he got it done with his arm, not with his legs. He completed 19 of 28 passes for 281 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions. That’s the good news. The bad news is that he suffered a concussion near the end of the game and his status for Sunday is uncertain. It is possible that he will miss some practice time and his availability for the game is in question. Matt Flynn, who lost out to Pryor in the preseason QB competition after being brought in to be the starter, will go against the Redskins if Pryor can’t.

2. If whoever is quarterbacking can get the ball to one of their wide receivers the Redskins could be in trouble. In particular, Denarius Moore is capable of taking it to the house at any time. He caught a 73-yard touchdown pass last night, grabbing Pryor’s pass deep over the middle, breaking away from a couple of would-be tacklers and turning on the speed to the end zone. The Redskins’ coverage and tackling issues could come back to bite them here.

3. Running back Darren McFadden had a better night throwing the ball than he did running it. He threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Marcel Reece in the third quarter. That was a highlight play but he gets paid to run and he gained just nine yards on 12 carries. Yes, the Raiders did have to start passing fairly early but a 0.8 yards per carry average is not getting it done.

4. It’s not fair to judge the Raiders’ defense on what Manning did to them. They held the Colts to 21 points and had a fourth-quarter lead on the road before losing. And they did what an NFL team should do when they slapped around the Jaguars in Week 2, only allowing a field goal and a late, window dressing touchdown.

5. Among the spare parts they pieced together for their starting defense—10 of the 11 starters were with different NFL teams last season—is veteran DB Charles Woodson. He has been playing pretty well. The team does not have an interception.

Stat of the day

—The Redskins have given up 98 points this season. Last year through three games they had given up 101.

—Days until: Redskins @ Raiders 4; Redskins @ Cowboys 18; Bears @ Redskins 25

—Today’s schedule: Player availability 11:15, Practice 1:00 (media can observe first 30 minutes), Robert Griffin III and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00) streamed on CSNwashington.com

Cofield talks about gaining confidence

1. weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM

This is a must win game lets see if our staff has them ready to win? Not sure who will start at QB for them but M Flynn could be dangerous against our secondary with a chance to prove himself.

So what’s your thoughts on the possible rift with our HC and 4PICK QB?

• Rich Tandler - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Well, you seem to have established yourself as the expert on everything in your comment on the other post. Since you know so much, why don’t you give us the details of this “rift” and what your sources for your vast knowledge are? Tell us what we should think about it.

Or are you just here to throw around some flames and then hide behind a screen name?

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

” Since you know so much, why don’t you give us the details of this “rift” and what your sources for your vast knowledge are? Tell us what we should think about it.”

Rich did you not read what I posted or did you just attack because this maybe a sore subject if true?
        again I said
        “So what’s your thoughts on the possible rift with our HC and 4PICK QB?”

note key word “possible” :))

maybe you can enlighten us all if in fact this is an issue or you can choose to ignore it but if in fact it is a problem it will not go away is all I say.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Rich …”Well, you seem to have established yourself as the expert on everything in your comment on the other post. ”

well that’s just my opinion on our team never claimed to be an expert, but as a fan of the Redskins for so long i’m not afraid to tell it as I see it sorry if this offends you and no reason to hide behind the facts!

• Rich Tandler - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM

If you want to engage in gossip, feel free.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

again I said
          “So what’s your thoughts on the possible rift with our HC and 4PICK QB?”

note key word “possible” :))

Rich can you please explain?

• Rich Tandler - Sep 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Well said Rich!! This troll has been booted from every message board relating to the Redskins. He has wished for RG3 to get hurt last year as part of his self-fulfilling prophecy of his old username ”RG3isabust” . I’m all for discussion and different points of view but his obvious hatred for the Shanahans have eliminated him from fair discussion. HTTR!!

2. rg3knees - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I believe there are some positive things about the upcoming week. First off, Phi. has to play Denver so that most likely will be another L for the Eagles. NYG have KC so if they keep playing like they have been, the KC defense will force the Giants to another L. The Redskins can stay in this thing if everyone else keeps losing. Let us just hope Dallas does not pull away in the division.

Of course there is a rift between Shanny and RG3. You do not need solid sources or facts to understand this fact. Ever heard the term you do not need a Ph.D to know what way the wind blows. Shanny ran RG3 into the ground last year so using common sense I would imagine there is some animosity between the two. Remember Shanny ran Terrell Davis into the ground also.

• Rich Tandler - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

So by your definition, then, any disagreement constitutes a “rift”? You can use that if you’d like. I look at that term as meaning something much more severe and lasting. The dictionary says a rift is a “fissure or crack” or a “break in friendly relations”. There is zero evidence that there is any permanent craft or that they are not on friendly terms. Certainly there have been disagreements but not to the point of a “rift”.

• rg3knees - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

“Rift” is probably slightly over the top. Let me see if I can find a better word “squabble” or “misunderstanding”

• Rich Tandler - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Why not just disagreement? You know, like professionals who have strong beliefs have all the time?

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You say Shanny ran Terrell Davis in the ground? He’s a running back and they run the ball then their careers end, it’s a rare rb that has a truly long career.
      As for Robert running, they adapted their playbook to fit Robert because they didn’t have one at Baylor. The Shanahans made RG3 offensive rookie of the year.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

whats does baylors play book have to do with any of it …lmao!

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

As usual you play the village idiot in order to make people grind out an explanation of the most simple statements. Here you go RG3isabust, They didn’t have a playbook at Baylor so Griff’s NFL career started with him running a ….aw screw it, you’re not worth the time it takes to type a response. How many message boards have you been kicked out of ?

• rg3knees - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM

You might be to young to remember or were not ever around then, but remember Shanahan put Terrel Davis back in a Super Bowl despite an extreme migraine. Shanny is known for being stubborn, and IMO is mostly responsible for RG3′s injury last year. Remember RG3 limping around out there on a sprained grade 1 LCL injury. With a 14 point lead, Shanny kept RG3 in there until he blew it all the way out. As a coach, regardless of what the player is telling you, you have to act like a boxing ref and know when it is time to throw in the towel.
        I do not care what anyone says on here, Shanny is partially if not fully responsible for RG3′s knee.

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thanks for the offhanded compliment but I’m 60 and fully aware. In my day if you have a headache you go to work and Davis sucked it up and went to work, certainly wasn’t the reason behind your statement of being run in the ground. I do believe Shanny and Griff were both responsible for blowing his knee out. Griff lied about that it wasn’t that bad and Shanny allowed him to go back in. Hindsight being 20/20 we can all say Cousins should have gone in at 14-0 but if you’ve ever coached adults with an uber sense of competitive drive then you can understand how you can be coerced into Shanny’s position. I’ve coached college baseball players during the summer.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I agree rg3knees and to add to it sharp could not see/ having issues seeing not just a headache and yes it was totally mikes fault for rg3 injury and anyone who argues that is just fooling themselves. very bad decision with a franchise QB who you gave up the farm to get! oh well its done with and now rg3 may never be the same.

3. rg3knees - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

“Disagreement” it is. Who cares anyway, all I care about is that the Skins go into Oakland and come out with a win!

Hail to the Redskins!

I want to see Morris run all over Oakland, driving his shoulder into people like Jay Cutler did on his amazing first down run!

4. weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Rich is this weeks game a must win? what’s your thoughts?

• Rich Tandler - Sep 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I think so. Although there may be mathematical postseason chances at 0-4 is just isn’t a place where you want to be, especially going into a bye.

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

We may spend the first 8 games getting Robert ”game ready” and for Haslett to ”inspire” the defense to play better. Depends on where the other teams are in NFCeast, so far the other teams are helping our cause. Somebody needs to whack Romo in the ribs again to slow the Cowboys.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

157 are you the guy that said we should start KC until the bye week ? lmao what a spinner! why can’t you stand up for what you believe and speak your mind freely ? no need to be scared tell it like you see it, be a man!

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Busty- that was back in April when none of us knew what was going to become of Griff’s knee. It was a prudent calculation to say he would be back after the bye. On the otherhand you have always been the guy who said Gano would be our MVP last year. Go crawl back in that Wild Turkey and leave critical thinking to us, when you do it you seem over your head.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

never liked gano not sure where you got that from and btw im not bust but I would say I agree with a lot of what he and polo said the record speaks for it self!

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I’m sure you do agree liar. You and your trademark smiley faces and your last username on Redskins.com was ”weneedayoungandhungycoach”, right before the moderators had enough of your flaming the fires of trolldom.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I will say I think gano is a tad bit better then the guy we now have kicking field goals …lol

• Rich Tandler - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

OK, weneedanewcoach, you are officially on troll warning. I will not have this blog cluttered by someone moaning about every player the Redskins ever cut and taking multiple comments to do so. I have zero problem with criticism of the team. But I won’t put up with trolling.

You will get no further warning or explanation. One more trolling comment an you’re gone.

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

rich I don’t feel I am trolling just replying but whatever ……im ok with my post/reply’s as good conversation and have never attacked anyone on your blog unlike a few who seem to get away with it hope this clears my view and hope you have a great day!

• ajbus1 - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Thank you Rich! These guys are the pinnacle of immaturity and have been ruining message boards for a long time. Don’t let them contiue their ridiculous scrutiny of everything Redskins. They never have any good input. They’re just clearly here to frustrate and antagonize (trolling). They may all be the same guy, who knows?

5. weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Rich
    ” Tell me about the possible screaming argument you had with your boss last week. You know, the one that possibly almost came to blows?

See what I did there by inserting the word “possibly”? I took a totally loaded question and by inserting the word “possible” I totally detached myself from any responsibility for it.”

Is this all you have after you attacked for whatever reason before you read and comprehended my reply? please don’t try and SPIN it your way THANKS :))

6. rg3knees - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Woah! They are calling RG3, RG-0-3 on ESPN.. Those darn critics.

• manchild157 - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM

That’s irresponsible journalism and espn should be above that. I would expect it from McNabb on the NFL channel though.

7. weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM

hey the bottom line is rg3 is 0-3 and if the facts hurt too bad. when will the fans of this organization call it like it is no need to make excuses this staff is a whooping 21-30 and most coaches would be fired for this performance. it is year 4 and I see very little improvement if any at all, our D has gotten worse and many ??? on this starting line up rak has not improved davis has been a waste of talent our STs have not improved and the list goes on!

• rg3knees - Sep 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I agree it is pretty brutal. Actually it is extremely brutal. The Special Teams are a joke, I love how they just throw J. Morgan out there and see what he can do. lol
      Why the heck did the skins get rid of Alexander, he used to be a boss on Special Teams?

I would have rather seen old Santana Moss give it a try instead of Morgan. Actually years ago Moss ran a punt return back for a TD

• manchild157 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

So, if the team had won the first 3 games of the season and the record was 24-30, then you would still be calling for the dismissal of the coaches right? What a hypocrite! And there’s no need to explain how the coaches had to gut the team, got hit with an unfair salary cap penalty, and all you do is find reasons to complain.

• manchild157 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM

The Washington Redskins are 0-3…….it’s a team effort, look at any sports page at the records for NFL, you don’t see a team called RG3. He is one of 53 players on the team. Your IQ for football seems to be on par with our record this year.

8. weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

we get to see tony pashos this week i hear he has done very well with Oakland starting all 3 games and I also see trueblood is now starting in Atlanta we cut these two and we keep guys like pat white and rex grossman on this roster who would never help this team win a game!

• weneedanewcoach - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

and yes I know we cut white to get this so called kicker ….lmao!

• rg3knees - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

You many Harry Potter the magical kicker. I hear he can use his magic wand and make it from over 50yds everytime