Sep 24, 2013, 5:03 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, September 24, five days before the Redskins visit the Raiders.
Five key quotes from Mike Shanahan’s Monday press conference:
1. Along with many, I commented on the Redskins’ play selection with 50 passes called in what was a one-score game most of the way. I realized that it got skewed in the latter stages of the game when the Redskins fell behind by 10. Mike Shanahan gave the following, more detailed explanation:
“I think when you take a look at that ratio, you have to look at the total game. We had 22 passes that were with 38 seconds left; we had five at the end of the half, we had 17 at the end of the game. Then you take 12 third-down passes, and you get 35 passes there. Then you take your first-down ratio of run-to-pass; I think we had 14 runs, 13 passes. Then you take second-down; I think we had five runs and 11 passes. That’s the type of ratio that we’re looking for. Once you get into the two-minute situation, those numbers can get really carried away one way or the other and that’s what happened.
2. Why hasn’t Bacarri Rambo been playing? This explanation if kind of, well, ouch:
“When he gets his opportunities, he’s got to take advantage of it. We’re not here to keep his spirits up. When he does play special teams or whatever role you’re in, you better play it 100 percent and make some plays. If he doesn’t play anything on defense, he better play well on special teams and if you don’t play well on special teams and you’re not a starter on defense, then you won’t be dressing. So everybody’s got a role and it changes during the season.”
3. Why didn’t Robert Griffin III slide feet first on that critical fourth-quarter play?
“Like I said after the game, I’ve had a lot of guys do it both ways. A lot of people would rather go feet-first, other guys want to get the extra yards and go face-first. Sometimes they feel a little more protected going head-first. I told Robert he can do it any way he wants to, he just has got to hold onto the football if he goes face-first.”
4. Here are his comments on putting Josh Morgan in on kickoffs:
“He’s still a legitimate guy, a legitimate threat as a kick-off returner. Josh [Morgan] has a little bit more wiggle than Niles does. He’s more of a power-type runner. We thought we’d give Josh a shot at it.”
5. Finally, he had this puzzling positive comment on Griffin’s second-quarter interception.
“That was not his fault. I was very upset during the game. I thought he just kind of threw it haphazardly, and really it was a great throw. It just didn’t work out that way. I’m not going to go through the blame, but as I said after the game, I thought it was just a mistake, and it was a good throw.”
Stat of the day
—This via my friend John Keim and ESPN Stats and Information: In first two games, Matthew Stafford completed 1 of 8 passes on throws of 15-plus yards. On Sunday he was 7-9 for 22.2 yards/attempt.
—Born on this day: current WR Aldrick Robinson (1988), former RB Joe Washington (1953), former C Casey Rabach (1977)
—Days until: Redskins @ Raiders 5; Redskins @ Cowboys 19; Bears @ Redskins 26
—Today’s schedule: Day off, no availability
Shanahan talks turnovers
In case you missed it
- Redskins try to keep Fletcher fresh
- Garçon doesn’t believe RG3 is healthy
- Snap counts: Hankerson a starter
- Forbath improving, hopes to kick in Oakland
- Six pack of Redskins-Lions observations
- Hall: We can’t live on what we did last year
Follow Us On Twitter
- Countdown: 5 types of fantasy football owners every league has
- VIDEO: CSN's Tarik El-Bashir walks you through Redskins drills
- Jay Gruden talks read option, Shawn Lauvao, Pierre Garon and more
- RGIII on Bruce Allen comments: 'I know where he's coming from'
- Gruden: Preseason games 'main evaluator' for roster decisions
- Amerson says defense is division's best. Does Gruden agree?
- Gruden: Offense based on run game, Morris key to success
- Redskins CB Bridget waived-injured
- Fantasy Football: Breaking out the 36 best QBs
- Trent likes O-line cohesiveness, but how long will it last?