Sep 20, 2013, 6:07 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, September 20, two days before the Redskins play the Lions at FedEx Field.
1. An injury concern has popped up along the defensive line. Kedric Golson has an abdominal strain that he sustained during the Packers game. Apparently he didn’t think much of it at the time but it has lingered to the point where he was limited in practice on both Wednesday and Thursday. If he can’t go, Chris Baker and Phillip Merling with both see increases in their playing time against the Lions
2. Maybe the Redskins just need to loosen up. If it takes RG3 doing a hip hop number in the huddle, so be it.
I’ll do whatever we have to win the game. That’s always been my mindset. I’m the quarterback, so if I have to create that energy, if I have to spit a rap line in the huddle, sure, whatever, I’ll do it. Just whatever it takes to get that energy, I’ll do it.
3. Jim Haslett apparently wants to take the pressure off of his players. His responses to five of the questions asked him at his Thursday press conference somehow involved him saying that he’s responsible for the problems the defense has been having or that he need to be the one to work harder to fix them.
4. Brandon Meriweather is likely to be listed as questionable for the Lions game when the injury report comes out this afternoon. I really want to see what he can do for a whole game. Hopefully the combination of the concussion and the $42,000 fine will get him to focus in on tackling in the prescribed target zone rather than in the helmet area.
5. I brought up this number is my post on Haslett’s presser yesterday but it’s worth pointing out again. In two games this season the Redskins have missed a total of 30 tackles. In four preseason games, the missed only 28 tackles and eight of those misses were by players who are no longer on the 53-man roster. I think it’s reasonable for Haslett to say that the tackling was a problem that the did not expect.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins have 35 rushing attempts in their two games. Last year they had 43 rushing attempts in the season opener and 72 combined in their first two games.
—Days until: Lions @ Redskins 2; Redskins @ Raiders 9; Redskins @ Cowboys 23
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50 (early portion open to media); Mike Shanahan news conference and player availability (after practice, approx. 1:30)
Redskins-Lions Two-Minute Drill
In case you missed it
- Golston and Meriweather limited in practice
- Davis surprised by lack of playing time
- Tackling issues catch Haslett by surprise
- Kerrigan has fun at Modell’s
- Preseason for RG3 a moot point
- Griffin will try to provide “spark” when the time is right
- Is Jordan Reed pushing Davis out?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Week 8 Power Rankings: Mighty have fallen
- Redskins snap count analysis vs. Titans
- Jay Gruden joins STL to look ahead to Cowboys
- Gruden says run game needs to improve, including Morris
- Orakpo injury becomes another big blow to Skins defense
- Gruden not ruling out RG3 this week
- Redskins' Gruden: Murphy must 'grow up very fast'
- Gruden on RG3's return: Robert has to be honest
- Gruden: McCoy will start for Redskins vs. Dallas if RG3 not ready
- For Redskins to match Peyton Manning numbers, go back to 1989