Sep 19, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
It seems obvious now that the Redskins would have been better off if Robert Griffin III had played during the preseason. The quarterback has spent the first two games getting used to playing on his reconstructed right knee and the accompanying knee brace, and trying to get in synch with his teammates.
The need for adjustments was to be expected. But certainly it would have been better to get them out of the way when the games don’t count. The Redskins gladly would have sacrificed their undefeated preseason for a quarterback who had knocked off some of the rust by the regular season opener.
But saying that Griffin should have played during the preseason is presenting a false argument. As Mike Shanahan reminded us yesterday, Griffin couldn’t play in the preseason:
“I don’t know if anybody remembers, but Dr. Andrews said that there was no way he could play during the preseason. Does anybody remember that? We have to go back to this? Dr. Andrews said he could not play during the preseason. There was no chance for him to play.”
So while the topic of Griffin playing in the preseason might make for a nice academic discussion, it really has no footing in reality. Just keep that in mind when you hear it being discussed, which is going to happen until Griffin looks like the RG3 of 2012.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: 5 Redskins with a lot to prove as training camp approaches
- DeAngelo Hall to be inducted into Virginia Tech Hall of Fame
- Redskins' outside LB depth chart looking thin after Galette injury
- After promising rookie season ends with terrible injury, Redskins waive Kyshoen Jarrett
- With Junior Galette out for the season are any free agents worth bringing in? Greg Hardy?
- Junior Galette tears Achilles tendon days before training camp
- Following NFL trend, Redskins sell naming rights for practice facility
- Can Redskins' Cousins continue to avoid the turnover bug?
- OPEN THREAD: Las Vegas betting information shows lack of respect for Redskins
- Need to Know: What are the Redskins' strongest and weakest areas?