Sep 19, 2013, 5:16 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, September 19, three days before the Redskins play the Lions at FedEx Field.
1. The Redskins have their kicker health issues but the Lions seem to be the less healthy of the two teams. Three Lions starters didn’t practice on Wednesday—Reggie Bush (left knee), FS Louis Delmas (knee) and RT Jason Fox (groin). The absence of Bush would be a big blow to the Lions’ offense; they had difficulty moving the ball when he left the game after hurting his knee last Sunday against the Cardinals.
2. I gave you some incomplete information here yesterday. I said that the last team to start a season 0-2 and still make the playoffs was the 2008 San Diego Chargers. That same year the Vikings started 0-2 but finished the season 10-6 to take the NFC North. And the ’08 Dolphins also went winless in their first two games but rallied to finish 11-5 and take the AFC East title.
3. I think the defense has bigger issues but the offense is a little ways off. Here’s what Robert Griffin III said:
“I feel like, just as a group, we’ve all been off a little bit. We’ll figure that out and we’ll get it going. We’ve been hitting in practice, in the games at times we are hitting, so I don’t think it’s necessarily a problem. It’s showing up, especially on third down, we just have got to execute better and we will.”
4. A week ago Jim Haslett was a bit testy during his weekly press conference last week (although it wasn’t a potential Coors Light commercial as some outlets inferred). After another game where his defense got torched, it will be interesting to see if his mood has improved.
5. Is Fred Davis being relegated to a reserve role? It’s too soon to tell but the situation bears watching Against the Packers he played just 16 snaps while rookie Jordan Reed played 29. Shanahan was asked why and he spoke generically but it was clear why Reed got the call and Davis watched most of the game.
“Most of the decisions we make are based on how people practice and what gives us the best opportunity to win. So if a guy goes into those situations, it means that he’s done a great job during the week and we feel like he deserved that opportunity. Or it could be a guy drops a ball during a game, the other’s guy is hot, and you go in that direction. There are a lot of factors that are involved. You’re trying to do what you think gives you the best chance to win.”
Stat of the day
—On average the Redskins have started their possession on their own 22-yard line; their opponents have started their drives at the 33.
—Former Redskins running back Larry Brown was born on this day in 1947
—Days until: Lions @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Raiders 10; Redskins @ Cowboys 24
—Today’s schedule: Player availability in locker room 11:15; Jim Haslett press conference 12:00; Practice 1:00 (closed to media after first 30 minutes); Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00; streamed on CSNwashington.com)
Shanahan: There’s room for everybody to improve
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- After big deals, Redskins' still have plenty of 2017 cap room
- Led by Cousins, Redskins top NFLPA's 'Rising 50' with five players
- Redskins sign 13 undrafted free agents
- Jordan Reed doesn't see how defenses will be able to keep up with Redskins' legion of receivers
- Jordan Reed eager to prove he's worth the money
- Jordan Reed discusses big contract extension with the Redskins
- Redskins get a draft pick in the fold
- Redskins building a long-term core of star players
- Reed deal a big item off of Redskins to-do list
- Redskins make Jordan Reed second-highest paid tight end in NFL