Sep 18, 2013, 5:03 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, September 18, four days before the Redskins play the Lions at FedEx Field.
1. Penalties and tackling will be other issues covered in the locker room. What we heard on Monday from DeAngelo Hall and London Fletcher and from Mike Shanahan on those subjects was interesting but not particularly enlightening. What we got was interesting but not particularly enlightening. I expect more of the same today.
2. Robert Griffin III addresses the media today and he certainly will be asked about this comment from teammate Pierre Garçon (on ESPN 980 via Dan Steinberg):
“Well, when you’re walking around with a knee brace or playing with a knee brace, obviously it’s slowing you down a little bit,” Garcon said. “It’s just natural. It’s common….I don’t know how much it weighs, exactly, but you always think about it when you have it on there, and it’s a constant reminder. It’s not gonna let you be the guy you are without the knee brace.
3. Don’t be stunned if the Redskins sign a new replacement kicker to replace replacement kicker John Potter if it looks like Kai Forbath won’t be able to go. Mike Shanahan gave a downright frigid endorsement of Potter when asked if he would stick around until they knew what Forbath’s status was. ““It all depends. I’m not really sure at this time,” he said. “I can’t tell you one way or the other exactly what we’re going to do.” Potter missed badly on his only field goal attempt, which was from 50 yards.
4. The last team to make the playoffs after starting 0-2 was the 2008 San Diego Chargers. They won the AFC West at 8-8. The Chargers had to win their last four games to get in and they got the help they needed as Shanahan’s Broncos lost the last three when a win in any one game would have clinched the division. Shanahan was fired after the season. Had Denver won the division, Shanahan would have held onto his job there for a bit longer and who knows who would be coaching the Redskins now.
5. Brandon Meriweather could face a pretty steep fine for his helmet-to-helmet hits on Sunday. With the Patriots in 2010, the last time he started full season, he was hit with a $50,000 fine for a helmet-to-helmet on Ravens tight end Todd Heap. There is no formally designated period of time after which a player gets a clean slate so it’s possible his fine could be escalated. It is not yet known if he will play on Sunday; we should hear more on the status of his concussion from Shanahan this afternoon.
Stat of the day
—Santana Moss’ touchdown on Sunday was his 47th as a Redskin. He has caught 46 TD passes and has one more via a punt return. One more touchdown will tie him with Stephen Davis for the 10th-most career touchdowns in team history.
—Days until: Lions @ Redskins 4; Redskins @ Raiders 11; Redskins @ Cowboys 25
—Today’s schedule: Player availability in locker room 11:15; Practice 1:00 (closed to media after first 30 minutes); Robert Griffin III and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00; streamed on CSNwashington.com)
In case you missed it
- Garçon: RG3 not the same with knee brace
- First look: Lions at Redskins
- Shanahan looks to eliminate silly mistakes
- Not clear if Reggie Bush will face Redskins
- Snap counts: Biggers to the bench
- Trent Williams a bright spot for Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins announce list of 26 players who did not travel for Buccaneers game
- Redskins vs. Buccaneers Live Updates: Week 4 score, stats, highlights
- Tropical storm pouring down rain in Tampa as game time approaches for Redskins (VIDEO)
- Redskins dress in matching Tommy Bahama shirts at Welcome Home Luncheon
- Need to Know: Some Redskins focus on Bucs, others on Steelers
- Redskins vs Buccaneers: 5 things to watch in game with major weather concerns
- Forced to make decision on rookie, Redskins move Keith Marshall to injured reserve
- After Tony Romo injury, a new odds favorite emerges in NFC East
- Redskins' Trent Williams on Stephen Paea and Perry Riley release: 'It's tough, man'
- Redskins release Perry Riley, Stephen Paea in roster trim-down