Sep 17, 2013, 5:23 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, September 17, five days before the Redskins play the Lions at FedEx Field.
1. Talking to both London Fletcher and DeAngelo Hall yesterday I got something of a sense of desperation from them. It wasn’t panic by any stretch but both of them may be in their last year with the team and it’s likely that they were looking forward to something better than an 0-2 start while giving up 25 points per game in the first half.
2. The Redskins had troubles on third down last year and they are continuing in 2013. They have converted on just five of 21 third downs, a pathetic 23.8 percent. On Sunday the score was 31-0 before they converted their initial third down.
3. The assessments of Mike Shanahan and Pro Football Focus don’t always agree but they did on Trent Williams’ play on Sunday. “I thought Trent played on of his better games, so I was happy with the way he approached that game. It might have been his best game since he’s been here.” Williams’ primary assignment was blocking Clay Matthews, Green Bay’s Pro Bowl outside linebacker. According to PFF, Williams did not allow a quarterback sack, a hit, or even a hurry.
4. Pat White cleared waivers yesterday and he is a free agent. It doesn’t look like the Redskins will bring him back until at least Friday since the status of Kai Forbath won’t be determined until then. Even then, though, Mike Shanahan seemed rather lukewarm when asked if the Redskins were considering bringing him back. “I don’t go into that detail for obvious reasons, but I do think a lot of Pat White. He’s a great person, great guy,” he said.
5. Sav Rocca’s punting got buried under the other issues but it was not a good day for him with a net average of 34.6 yards. For the season his gross average is 38.8 per punt, last in the NFL and his net (gross minus touchbacks and return yards) is 37.4 and that ranks 26th.
Stat of the day
—Reported by @MikeGarafolo of Fox Sports 1 on Twitter: “The Redskins have been getting off to terrible starts. Their minus-43 1st half point differential is the worst through 2 wks since PIT ’89.” That Steelers team, by the way, finished 9-7 and won in the first round of the playoffs.
—Days until: Lions @ Redskins 5; Redskins @ Raiders 12; Redskins @ Cowboys 26
—Today’s schedule: Day off, no availability
Shanahan: There’s room for everybody to improve
In case you missed it
- Shanahan: Griffin won’t be benched
- Benching RG3 is not the answer
- Redskins will test Forbath on Friday
- Meriweather status unclear, faces fine
- Hall: “We’ve got to keep fighting”
- Pulse report: Redskins-Packers
- Another bad season debut for Meriweather
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain
- Redskins one of the best in NFL at preventing long plays
- Redskins without two key offensive players at Thursday's practice
- A few plays here and there could have led to different results for the Redskins
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins shuts down report he's affected by criticism: 'Not accurate'
- DeAngelo Hall appreciates Brian Mitchell's response to Stephen A. Smith on Redskins comments
- Kirk Cousins has apparently never said a bad word in front of Jay Gruden