Sep 14, 2013, 5:39 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, September 14, one day before the Redskins play the Packers at Lambeau Field.
1. Packers linebacker Clay Matthews was fined $15,000 for his out of bounds hit on 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick last Sunday. It prompted Kaepernick to deliver one of the better tough guy lines in recent memory. “If intimidation is your game plan, I hope you have a better one,” he said after the game. Robert Griffin III likely has the same frame of mind. It’s doubtful that the fine will deter Matthews, who signed a contract extension that pays him about $13 million a year, from doing much of anything.
2. It will be interesting to see what happens if Kai Forbath can’t kick on Sunday. He was listed as questionable on the injury report with a groin problem. It seems that John Potter, who was with the team in training camp, would be the replacement kicker. But if Potter is needed somebody will have to be removed from the 53-man roster. It seems that fourth quarterback Pat White is the logical candidate but that may not happen. They might choose to let go of Rex Grossman and bring him back on Monday, perhaps concerned that White would be claimed on waivers. As a vested veteran Grossman is not subject to waivers.
3. All of the other Redskins besides Forbath were listed as probable. Green Bay is a bit more banged up. They list two starters, safety Morgan Burnette (hamstrong) and guard Josh Stitton (back), as questionable. Also questionable is backup corner Jarrett Bush (hamstring). Another reserve cornerback, Casey Heyward (hamstring) is out.
4. I don’t want to give a spoiler to a post that Tarik is doing on Jordan Reed later today but the rookie said that he played every third down snap against the Eagles. He played 25 snaps in all. Keep an eye on his playing time, he could be getting groomed to replace Fred Davis.
5. Is Leonard Hankerson finally getting it? Kyle Shanahan thinks so.
“Hank has done a good job. I think he’s gotten better every year since he’s been here. He’s had some games that, to us, are real good games that you guys don’t always get to see, because really I think everyone only sees the receivers when they get the ball. Hank has done a pretty good job separating in a lot of games that he hasn’t gotten the ball in. This game, he did have a good game, and the balls came his way. The coverages got him the ball and he capitalized on them.”
Stat of the day
—Josh Morgan averaged 12.8 yards per reception (4 rec./51 yds.) against the Eagles. Last year he averaged just 10.6 per catch, the second lowest of his five-year career. His career best was 15.9 per reception with the 49ers in 2010 (44/698)
—Former Redskins linebacker Kurt Gouveia was born on this date in 1964.
—Days until: Redskins @ Packers 1; Lions @ Redskins 8; Redskins @ Raiders 15
—Today’s schedule: No availability, team flies to Green Bay
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food